Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWin 5 Is Now "Stable" With Good Functionality

Phoronix: KWin 5 Is Now "Stable" With Good Functionality

The KDE KWin maintainer, Martin Gr??lin, has announced today that the KWin 5 code is in good shape, he's using it for day-to-day use, and will now begin accepting bug reports on the window manager that supports Qt5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, if pretty much everything else about your system is KDE 4, is it safe to upgrade to kwin 5? Or, will distros just do that automatically when the maintainers deem it acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      So, if pretty much everything else about your system is KDE 4, is it safe to upgrade to kwin 5? Or, will distros just do that automatically when the maintainers deem it acceptable?
      No, Martin never actually said it is "stable" (that is Mark's choice of words), just that his experience with it has been pretty stable. But other people use it in other ways with other software and hardware configuration, and this will almost certainly cause new bugs to appear that Martin could never find on his own. The whole point of the blog post is to have pre-alpha testers that can test kwin more widely to see how things break. And things almost certainly will break.

It is definitely not production-ready, and nothing in the blog posts suggests it is. It isn't even be labeled an alpha, not to mention a beta. Mark wrote his article in such a way that it makes kwin seem much more stable than Martin's original blog post claims.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        No, Martin never actually said it is "stable" (that is Mark's choice of words), just that his experience with it has been pretty stable. But other people use it in other ways with other software and hardware configuration, and this will almost certainly cause new bugs to appear that Martin could never find on his own. The whole point of the blog post is to have pre-alpha testers that can test kwin more widely to see how things break. And things almost certainly will break.

It is definitely not production-ready, and nothing in the blog posts suggests it is. It isn't even be labeled an alpha, not to mention a beta. Mark wrote his article in such a way that it makes kwin seem much more stable than Martin's original blog post claims.
        Who is Mark?

Comment

Sorry, I meant Michael.

Comment

I think "stable" is a pretty choice of worlds
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I wonder if this means that he'll start working on Wayland support again, when he's not bug-fixing KWin 5, or if he'll focus entirely on getting it production-ready?

Comment

Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
                I wonder if this means that he'll start working on Wayland support again, when he's not bug-fixing KWin 5, or if he'll focus entirely on getting it production-ready?
                My understanding is that he has been working on Wayland all along. He may work for a week or two on something else, then come back to Wayland for a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  No, Martin never actually said it is "stable"
                  He certainly didn't say that, no. What he said is that it's reached a point where it's actually useful for other people to try it and to report bugs they find, rather than just being a waste of time. That's *very* short of being declared "stable"...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    He certainly didn't say that, no. What he said is that it's reached a point where it's actually useful for other people to try it and to report bugs they find, rather than just being a waste of time. That's *very* short of being declared "stable"...
                    That sounds like going from pre-alpha to alpha.

Comment

Working...
                    X