Favorite Linux Distro ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Compxpert View Post
    From what I've noticed it does seem a little more responsive then other distros I've tried like Fedora and Ubuntu. Second favorite would be ubuntu.
    Only a little more responsive than Fedora or Ubuntu? Uh, that would be greatly disappointing for me, as Ubuntu is one of the the "slowest" distribution of all those I've tried myself. I rather imagined Gentoo to be slightly more responsive than Zenwalk and ArchLinux- and as per my experience they are way "faster" than Ubuntu.

Anyway, I find Gentoo very interesting but never really tried it (for a longer time), because I couldn't be bothered with the long compiling times. But I might give it another try when I put myself a new system together (still waiting for Intel to finally(!) release their Core2 Quad Q9450 x-P)

Comment

Originally posted by Janusz11 View Post
      Only a little more responsive than Fedora or Ubuntu? Uh, that would be greatly disappointing for me, as Ubuntu is one of the the "slowest" distribution of all those I've tried myself. I rather imagined Gentoo to be slightly more responsive than Zenwalk and ArchLinux- and as per my experience they are way "faster" than Ubuntu.

Anyway, I find Gentoo very interesting but never really tried it (for a longer time), because I couldn't be bothered with the long compiling times. But I might give it another try when I put myself a new system together (still waiting for Intel to finally(!) release their Core2 Quad Q9450 x-P)
      When I used gentoo it was around the same speed as Arch but it will depend on how you build the packages really. The slight benefits you can get are out weight by the time spent tweaking/compiling in my eyes but each to his own I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by lenrek View Post
        Slackware! Is great to be a slacker...
        +1 ..... ..... .....

Comment

Originally posted by lenrek View Post
          Slackware! Is great to be a slacker...
          I still use Slackware myself, despite using debian sid on my main box.

Have Slack 10.2 installed on my backup machine.

Comment

Right now I'm pretty happy with Arch. I switched from Ubuntu to Arch because I needed something faster.

Comment

Mandriva Powerpack

Comment

I used to be a distro shuffler for a long time.... but now I use only Arch Linux because:

- It's F-A-S-T!!
                - It's bleeding edge
                - It has got pacman as package manager
                - You can easily compile and package new programs thanks to AUR
                - It's KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
                - There's KDEmod

Comment

Working...
                X