Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Linux Distro ?

Archlinux is my current distro of choice purely because it gives me the power to do what I want without over complicating the whole thing or holding my hand all the time. Also once you go rolling release it's hard to go back.

I normally use sidux based on Debian/sid, but I have experience with the 10 most popular ones. I have decided to give Gentoo a try very, very soon, because it is -very- interesting for me, and with the help of ivanovic I'll sure get it up and running

+1 Mandriva 2008.1 .. Loved this release and I am going to stick with it till openSUSE 11.0 arrives Used Ubuntu for more than 3 years.. But I am fed up of their plain UI :|

For me, its still Zenwalk. I may change to ArchLinux one day, which I really like as well. But momentarily I'm just too lazy.

I am (of course) for gentoo.

Main reason for this: I directly have a 10=% working compile environment, no need to search for the corresponding devel packages, the stuff is just available. Beside this is it *easy* to add own packages in the manager, to bump versions and you stay rather close to bleeding edge with package updates, no need to wait for a new "major release" of the distribution, just to get a normal bugfix release eg of Wesnoth in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    Archlinux is my current distro of choice purely because it gives me the power to do what I want without over complicating the whole thing or holding my hand all the time. Also once you go rolling release it's hard to go back.
    Yeah, I started out with Ubuntu Feisty/Gutsy64, but moved to Arch Linux64 when the Ubuntu devs basically stopped updating Gutsy to concentrate on Hardy. I recently upgraded to Hardy and I'm impressed, but I'm using Arch at the moment until 4front gets the OSS 4.1 repo fixed and I can get sound working again.

I haven't felt the need to experiment since I have these two distros up and running. I did try Kubuntu64 and Fedora64 KDE, but KDE just makes the left side of my brain hurt. Gnome ftw.

Gentoo. I know people say the install is hard but it really isn't. So long as you follow the handbook its really easy. The actual downside is just compile time but really a base install takes 2-2 1/2hrs tops. Then from there emerge your favorite gui and walk away for awhile. From what I've noticed it does seem a little more responsive then other distros I've tried like Fedora and Ubuntu. Second favorite would be ubuntu.

I'm on Gentoo right now and like it a lot, thinking about branching out and trying some others too. I hated Ubuntu as of their last release, so I doubt that's for me, but am thinking of trying Archlinux, Fedora or OpenSUSE.

Slackware! Is great to be a slacker...

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Yeah, I started out with Ubuntu Feisty/Gutsy64, but moved to Arch Linux64 when the Ubuntu devs basically stopped updating Gutsy to concentrate on Hardy. I recently upgraded to Hardy and I'm impressed, but I'm using Arch at the moment until 4front gets the OSS 4.1 repo fixed and I can get sound working again.

I haven't felt the need to experiment since I have these two distros up and running. I did try Kubuntu64 and Fedora64 KDE, but KDE just makes the left side of my brain hurt. Gnome ftw.
    I tried the new ubuntu liveCD and it's come a long way since I last tried it (about 2 years ago now) I don't intend to change but I will be giving copies to friends/family.

As for gnome v KDE I'll take KDE any day, configuring gnome with that registry like thing? Yuck.