Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand (ati card)

Hi, folks.

First, I insist that I'm a beginner on Linux and that english isn't my native language. So be generous and patient with me, please.

So, let's begin by the beginning.

The purpose of this post is to try to understand what's going on with my ati xtx 1950 graphic card. I must say that I succeed in installing the last proprietary driver from ati. And I also succeed at using compiz. At the moment, I have compiz's effects enabled and it works fine. If I do :"fglrxinfo" in a terminal I get :

display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1950 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release

But if I do: "fgl_glxgears", I get the rotating cube but only:

Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    402 frames in 5.0 seconds = 80.400 FPS
    425 frames in 5.0 seconds = 85.000 FPS

So I conclude it's my cpu not my gpu who is working. I repeat compiz is working fine, I get all the effects I want. The unique problem is that windowed videos are flickering but in full screen it's ok.

So I would like to know what do you think about that. And I hope that helping me to understand what's going on in my computer might help the other too.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Nodens; 04 April 2008, 06:54 AM.

Seeing as you have a very good card and probably enabled all options, you have probably enabled V sync, which will limit your framerate to your screen's refresh rate.

Don't worry, this is normal. Any higher framerate is only useful as a benchmark. If you still want to have a high framerate, you can disable V sync.

Comment

Oh, what a fool I am. I should have noted that 85 is the refresh rate of my screen. Thanks a lot, I deactivated it and now "fgl_glxgears" gives me:

Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
      14537 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2907.400 FPS
      14835 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2967.000 FPS
      14748 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2949.600 FPS

So everything is OK I think.

Comment

Working...
      X