Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Common Input Device Library For Wayland

Phoronix: A Common Input Device Library For Wayland

With the Wayland protocol the matter of handling input device processing is left up to the compositors themselves. To ease the development process and ensuring compositors have good input support, a common input device library has been proposed that compositors can utilize for handling their input events from the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This can be really useful. I just hope they remember to include support for things like graphics tablets and add some feature to easily bind input from a particular device to a particular display. Using graphic tablets on a multi-display setup has always been a pain in the ass on Linux, this is a perfect time to remedy that situation.

I'd just really like to limit my graphics tablet to my wide screen monitor that matches the ratio of the drawing area for the tablet. While still allowing my mouse to travel into both screens. I've yet to find an easy way to do that, so my second screen is usually left unplugged and unused.

Comment

That's the way to go

Given that Wayland's design imply that many things which were done by the X server are now done by the clients, I hope that these kind of 'support' library will become common, otherwise there will be many clients which will have limited capabilites which will be annoying for users..

Comment

I hope this doesn't become like on X.Org Server where there is xkb, XInput, XInput 2, etc where there are multiple input libraries...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I hope this doesn't become like on X.Org Server where there is xkb, XInput, XInput 2, etc where there are multiple input libraries...
          That's impossible because these libraries are not and will never be part of Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            As Petteri said, it will not be an X-like situation, because the moment they become obsolete, you can ditch them, switch them for modern solutions, and only the ones with legacy needs have to install them.

Comment

Working...
            X