Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM: Memory Power Management Savings Measurable

Phoronix: IBM: Memory Power Management Savings Measurable

An IBM Linux Technology Center has shared that enabling experimental memory power management within the Linux kernel has dropped one of their test system's power consumption by about 2.6% but it's likely even more with experimental hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems like a waste of energy!

I don't see a big draw here. Sounds like a lot of talent going into a feature that only supports a few specialized machines.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      I don't see a big draw here. Sounds like a lot of talent going into a feature that only supports a few specialized machines.
      Heh. Big draw and power savings. You jest!
      Hi

Comment

Well, in a 10MW datacenter, a 1% power saving over 10 years
        translates to couple of millions of USD. It may not sound much,
        but electricity bill is the biggest chunk of TCO in a data center.

Comment

"few specialized machines"? This feature is already supported on some ARM boards and is coming to x86.

Comment

A normal 4 socket Intel Xeon machine and/or AMD Opteron machine (a 20,000$) server usually have ~40+ cores and anywhere between 128GB and 1TB (!) of memory, and I'm not talking about a 100+K$ mainframe machine like the IBM Power series.
            Plus, keep in mind that as you increase the amount of memory (I've got a number of machines with 512GB RAM), the power saving should increase (at least in theory).

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

All I can say is 2% here, 5% there, adds up real quick in the sceme of things. And he's done it simply ny improving managing the hardware via software. Imagine if the rest of tje dev team made single digit percentile improvements, the cost of operation would be massively reduced. Reduced power co sumption means reduced cooling and failing , reducing costs alround. Its not rock'n'roll science, but itll do its part for tje planet and the pocket!
              Hi

Comment

Working...
              X