Thread: IBM: Memory Power Management Savings Measurable

Default IBM: Memory Power Management Savings Measurable

Phoronix: IBM: Memory Power Management Savings Measurable

An IBM Linux Technology Center has shared that enabling experimental memory power management within the Linux kernel has dropped one of their test system's power consumption by about 2.6% but it's likely even more with experimental hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxMjA

Default Seems like a waste of energy!

I don't see a big draw here. Sounds like a lot of talent going into a feature that only supports a few specialized machines.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    I don't see a big draw here. Sounds like a lot of talent going into a feature that only supports a few specialized machines.
    Heh. Big draw and power savings. You jest!

Well, in a 10MW datacenter, a 1% power saving over 10 years
    translates to couple of millions of USD. It may not sound much,
    but electricity bill is the biggest chunk of TCO in a data center.

"few specialized machines"? This feature is already supported on some ARM boards and is coming to x86.

A normal 4 socket Intel Xeon machine and/or AMD Opteron machine (a 20,000$) server usually have ~40+ cores and anywhere between 128GB and 1TB (!) of memory, and I'm not talking about a 100+K$ mainframe machine like the IBM Power series.
    Plus, keep in mind that as you increase the amount of memory (I've got a number of machines with 512GB RAM), the power saving should increase (at least in theory).

- Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

All I can say is 2% here, 5% there, adds up real quick in the sceme of things. And he's done it simply ny improving managing the hardware via software. Imagine if the rest of tje dev team made single digit percentile improvements, the cost of operation would be massively reduced. Reduced power co sumption means reduced cooling and failing , reducing costs alround. Its not rock'n'roll science, but itll do its part for tje planet and the pocket!