13-Way AMD Open Linux GPU Drivers On The Source Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siavashserver
    But I have observed in benchmarks using Catalyst drivers (both Linux and Windows) that 4890 is usually in par with 5870 and 6770. No idea about 7000 and newer.
    Yeah, it depends a lot on the workload mix. As a very rough approximation I would expect more shader-intensive games to do better on the 5830 and older games (where clocks & rops matter more) to do better on the 4890, so the relative performance of the two cards would change over time as more shader-intensive games became common.
    Test signature

Comment

Yeah, I?ve been disapointed by the performance of the 5450 and 6450 in the benchmarks. They are interesting because they are the only low-power, silent, low profile and single slot Radeon cards, but their performance in 1080p makes them almost useless based on the benchmarks I?ve seen on Phoronix.

Which is why I?ve turned my attention to the 6670 and 7750, even though the single-slot ones are not fanless?

Comment

PS: any chance to have the one minute edit limit removed, or at least increased significantly?

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
          6450 performance is very poor, I won't buy that card
          Originally posted by stqn View Post
          Yeah, I?ve been disapointed by the performance of the 5450 and 6450 in the benchmarks. They are interesting because they are the only low-power, silent, low profile and single slot Radeon cards, but their performance in 1080p makes them almost useless based on the benchmarks I?ve seen on Phoronix.
          You have to understand that the HD6450 is not a gaming GPU in the first place, it's the absolute lowest of the low in the Caicos line. Also, Michael is probably using the DDR3 HD6450 instead of the GDDR5 version.

I'm using an HD6450 (DDR3 version) which doesn't work with open source drivers, but works pretty good with latest Catalyst beta.

Comment

What's with every r600 card regressing? Is nobody using those anymore and reporting bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              What's with every r600 card regressing? Is nobody using those anymore and reporting bugs?

The PC is connected to TV with HDMI cable. With Xubuntu 13.04 (3.8 kernel) no problem. With Xubuntu 13.10 (3.11 kernel) video playback is like set to fast forward speed. Is is happening both in browser video playback (Youtube) and video playback in Parole or VLC. Checked with or without radeon.dpm=1 and radeon.audio=1 settings. till 3.9.11 kernel, video speed is ok. from 3.10-RC1 bug introduced. Regression commit: 1586505a5db2b221a99feabe61199c2657e9ee23 Potential fix commit: 9255ce80f88ba8...

HDMI audio stop working after system suspend. On wake there is no sound. Ati Radeon 2600 PRO. The earliest kernel tested so far where the bug appeared is 3.5.0.42. The latest kernel found so far not to have the bug is 3.4.67. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04 Package: linux-image-3.8.0-31-generic 3.8.0-31.46 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-31.46-generic 3.8.13.8 Uname: Linux 3.8.0-31-generic i686 ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.3 Architecture: i386 AudioDevicesInUse:  USER ...

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post

Which is why I?ve turned my attention to the 6670 and 7750, even though the single-slot ones are not fanless?
                Is that what you are considering buying? I'm looking at those, too, but also the 6770 and 6850. Would you or anyone else recommend any of those cards?

It still is unbelievable to me that the 7xxx cards are still not functional enough. I prefer a single slot card or at least, not one of the oversized cards (see 6870). It won't fit in my case, unfortunately.

The problem, too, is that the 6770 cards are still expensive and 6850, one has to buy used.

Comment

As mentioned by a earlier poster, the patches for making the 7000 series work are already in place. You just have to have LLVM 3.4.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    Is that what you are considering buying? I'm looking at those, too, but also the 6770 and 6850.
                    Yes but I haven?t been able to find benchmarks for the 6670 or the 7750, and I have read that Metro: Last Light doesn?t work properly with the open-source drivers yet anyway. I think that M:LL needs GLSL 1.50.

My case will only accept a single-slot low-profile card; I don?t know if the 6770 and 6850 are available in that size. I?d also like a card that consumes less than 10W when idle and doesn?t make much noise.

Comment

Speaking of TF2 performance with r600g, it seems like I'm always locked to 60fps, no matter what I do. I have tried using driconf, turning vsync off in TF2 and even launching Steam/TF2 with vblank_mode=0 to no avail. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X