Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best value for money.

Hello Guys

I am about to build a new computer, so I start reading lots of reviews trying to get the best value for money and something that will work perfectly under linux. What a pain. I wish review sites would just put the best computer that works perfectly (within reason) for a given price range. Eg for ?500 what components would give the best results. At the moment I am looking at hdd for about ?120, but what disk/disks will give the best results. Willi it be 10000 rpm raptor or a 1 TB drive or 4 200GB Drives set out in a raid. All the same price (different size, but I dont need much space) but what will give me the best results.

It would be good if you could keep a current fastest spec of components for say ?250 and ?500. Then it would be much easer for people to buy 1) The fastest computer they can afford and 2) one that will work 100% with linux.

Thanks Dan

ps anybody know which HDD I should go for. I want it for medium sized video editing.

Originally posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Hello Guys

I am about to build a new computer, so I start reading lots of reviews trying to get the best value for money and something that will work perfectly under linux. What a pain. I wish review sites would just put the best computer that works perfectly (within reason) for a given price range. Eg for ?500 what components would give the best results. At the moment I am looking at hdd for about ?120, but what disk/disks will give the best results. Willi it be 10000 rpm raptor or a 1 TB drive or 4 200GB Drives set out in a raid. All the same price (different size, but I dont need much space) but what will give me the best results.

It would be good if you could keep a current fastest spec of components for say ?250 and ?500. Then it would be much easer for people to buy 1) The fastest computer they can afford and 2) one that will work 100% with linux.

Thanks Dan

ps anybody know which HDD I should go for. I want it for medium sized video editing.
    Forget the raptors, the 4 drive raid setup will yield the fastest results depending on the method of raid you use. (in a raid 0 setup anything more then 2 drives yields little speed gains)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Forget the raptors, the 4 drive raid setup will yield the fastest results depending on the method of raid you use. (in a raid 0 setup anything more then 2 drives yields little speed gains)
      Specifically I was looking at 4x200G samsung spinpoint @?30 each on a gigabit GA-P35-DS3R motherboard 4 gig 800DDR2 ram core2 quad. not sure if that would work or what the fastest setup would be. I dont want to waste ?120 and buy the wrong thing.

Thanks Dan

Comment

Working...
      X