Tizen 3.0 To Go 64-Bit, Powered By Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Not everyone cares about good integrations with Google's services. Most people are probably happy as long as they can watch youtube vids and do google searches, and since both work via web anyway, that's not an issue.
    Any data to support the "most people" claim? (usage of youtube mobile site vs app?)? If I was to guess stuff I'd say people also use smartphones for e-mails, contacts, maps, music, more often than for searching the web.

Depends how you look at it. More efficient use of limited resources, leading to potentially better battery life, is a definite benefit.
    I've had 2 linux smartphones with natives apps, and both were awful in terms of battery life.
    That, and there are phone with better battery life (motorola rzr m of a colleague had a full 2 days of battery life), and it definitely isn't enough for success.

Lack of Play store didn't stop Amazon, why would it stop Samsung?
    It certainly doesn't help Amazon though. They are mostly making tablets that requires less "accessibility" apps and more "premium" apps (games, productivity apps). Accessibility apps needs to be numerous (you need a different one for any single thing you need to do), while premium apps are much less numerous, and much more likely to be ported (due to bigger teams and better visibility on any platform).
    But yes, that makes car/TV/tablets more accessible for non-major systems (except for vendor lock-in, when you have to pay your apps again if you change OS provider).

Also, one important thing is that Amazon is a software minded company, while Samsung isn't. They make incredible hardware, but suck at deploying large IT projects (different mentality, skills and way of working required).

Besides, the same thing applies to Jolla and Firefox OS as well, neither of them have access to Google Play either.
    Indeed.

Comment

Seems like some app developers are already betting on Tizen:

Comment

Not everyone cares about good integrations with Google's services. Most people are probably happy as long as they can watch youtube vids and do google searches, and since both work via web anyway, that's not an issue.
        Most people use a Gmail account and a Youtube account, and currently Google offers the best integration for both of those platforms in their smartphone operating system. I wasn't saying that this level of integration was the only thing that brought people over, but it seems that you have interpreted it that way.

Depends how you look at it. More efficient use of limited resources, leading to potentially better battery life, is a definite benefit.
        That isn't going to be happening. The efficiency and performance of smartphone parts and materials has risen sharply in the last few years and will continue to do so. Case and point, all of the 1Ghz Android and FirefoxOS smartphones available for under $99 outright. That's a great achievement, and I hope that it will enable developers to be more flexible when writing applications for those platforms.

Lack of Play store didn't stop Amazon, why would it stop Samsung?

Besides, the same thing applies to Jolla and Firefox OS as well, neither of them have access to Google Play either. Google Play isn't the be-all-end-all of mobile phones.
        It didn't stop them, but these variants are nowhere near as successful or widespread as Google Android, even Samsung's which is shipped with the best selling Android smartphones. It's going to take a lot to overcome that momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
          I've had 2 linux smartphones with natives apps, and both were awful in terms of battery life.
          If you're referring to the N9 that certainly depended on how it was being used/set-up, if one didn't hit some glaring bugs (which was hard not to & would've been fixed if support wasn't dropped like a rock) it was a stellar performer in that area.
          In just one of the major battery performance comparos done by GSMArena I recall it standing well clear of others (aside from iPhone), & that was only with PR1.1 IIRC.
          N900 was worse, much worse, but then again, in many ways it was treated as even more of an afterthought than the N9*, plus it had a removable/upgradeable battery that it could fall back on.

*except at least with it, the team had the foresight to release much more important code chunks

Comment

stupid 1min limit >.>

If you're referring to the N9 that certainly depended on how it was being used/set-up, if one didn't hit 1 or more of several glaring bugs (which was hard not to*, & would've been fixed if support wasn't dropped like a rock!) it was a stellar performer in that area. In just one of the major battery performance comparos done by GSMArena I recall it standing well clear of others (aside from iPhone), & that was only with PR1.1 IIRC. N900 was worse, much worse, but then again, in some ways it was treated as even more of an afterthought (except at least with it, Nokia had the foresight to release much more important code chunks), plus it had a removable/upgradeable battery that it could fall back on.

*but most of them could be mitigated or avoided completely once you got to know all the quirks, not exactly "user-friendly" though.

Comment

Also, one important thing is that Amazon is a software minded company, while Samsung isn't. They make incredible hardware, but suck at deploying large IT projects (different mentality, skills and way of working required).
              Been my perception too*, which is why I've been hoping for some time now that they show some interest in MeR/Nemo/Sailfish instead, or in addition to Tizen.
              But, for multiple reasons I don't see that happening, sadly...

*Although they do "seem" to be getting better

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                stupid 1min limit >.>
                If you're referring to the N9 that certainly depended on how it was being used/set-up,
                I am indeed (there are not so many other in the recent past )

I refresh IMAP (20min), calendar (4h) and RSS (daily), and sometimes chat, and it barely goes through the day. Same experience with 2 other people I know with this phone.

On the other hand, data is a huge consumer of power, because now my N900, connected on wifi but not syncing anything, has a battery life of 5 days!

Comment

I am indeed (there are not so many other in the recent past )

I refresh IMAP (20min), calendar (4h) and RSS (daily), and sometimes chat, and it barely goes through the day. Same experience with 2 other people I know with this phone.

On the other hand, data is a huge consumer of power, because now my N900, connected on wifi but not syncing anything, has a battery life of 5 days!
                  I have an N9 as well and I can confirm your experience. As soon as you enable data synchronization battery life drops dramatically, whereas you can use your phone for quite a long time doing other things including 3D games without hitting the battery so badly. It doesn't seem normal that data synchronization would take that much more power than 3D games. I'm guessing they have something wrong in their wireless driver, or maybe some hardware issue in the networking components.

Comment

Bingo, been my experience no matter the platform, if you've got lots happening with regards to data synch, consumption goes through the roof!
                    In it's day the N9 was better than most others in that respect*, but only if you didn't hit one or more of several bugs, some were much worse than others, & most could be mitigated or avoided.

*& would've only got better if solid support had remained for much longer
                    Last edited by jalyst; 25 November 2013, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X