Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tizen 3.0 To Go 64-Bit, Powered By Wayland

Phoronix: Tizen 3.0 To Go 64-Bit, Powered By Wayland

While Tizen/MeeGo has long played with Wayland as an experimental display server, with Tizen 3.0 in 2014 Samsung will be switching to Wayland instead of running an X.Org Server. They will also be switching to native 64-bit builds and making other major changes with Tizen 3.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anyone giving a fuck about Tizen anymore?? I mean we hear about it for ages and not a single product appeared on the market. (except a camera)

Comment

???

intel and samsung continued wast they time in this Os why?

its only me but this is like chrome OS, something bad without purpose!

Comment

What, until now they actually used X.org?

Comment

This is what Wayland is all about after all. I hope to use Wayland in my future Samsung toaster (with the Intel Inside sticker )

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
            intel and samsung continued wast they time in this Os why?

its only me but this is like chrome OS, something bad without purpose!
            Chrome OS has a purpose (for google).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Is anyone giving a fuck about Tizen anymore?? I mean we hear about it for ages and not a single product appeared on the market. (except a camera)
              There's also a tablet...

And yes, some people give a fuck. Apparently the resident ubuntard trolls give enough fucks to troll this thread with their usual inane bullshit, anyway...

Comment

Tizen won't be taking off anywhere except IVI in the near future at least.
                Samsung has delayed the launch of devices repeatedly throughout this year because the software simply isn't ready, Intel has literally no deployment plans for Tizen on the desktop except 'lets develop it, screw marketing' and has no partners for such a deployment, Android users will be reluctant to shift because they won't be able to access paid apps due to the lack of the Google Play store and the added competition from Firefox OS and Jolla won't help Tizen's position.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Tizen is the reference implementation for GENIVI-compliant products. Many commercial IVI solutions are based on Tizen in this market.
                  Samsung's Linux-based smart TV OS has been announced to switch to a Tizen base as well, although I don't know if these TVs have entered the market, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    Tizen won't be taking off anywhere except IVI in the near future at least.
                    Wouldn't be so sure about that. There's already a tablet running Tizen.

Samsung has delayed the launch of devices repeatedly throughout this year because the software simply isn't ready,
                    By that logic, Fedora is never getting another release again... delays happen, it's natural for a new technology.

Samsung however has plenty of incentive to invest heavily in Tizen, as Google is tightening their control over the Android platform... notice how Google is slowly replacing all the open-source userland apps of Android with closed programs? Samsung already maintains their own versions of Android userland apps, because they're planning for the future - they don't want to be left in a situation where they're dependant on Google for their platform.

Samsung will probably bring a Tizen phone to the market either in time for christmas shopping, or the next CES in spring.

Intel has literally no deployment plans for Tizen on the desktop except 'lets develop it, screw marketing' and has no partners for such a deployment,
                    You know this how? They wouldn't necessarily tell it until they can come out with a grand announcement and a product they can show. Again, I bet they'll show something at CES.

Android users will be reluctant to shift because they won't be able to access paid apps due to the lack of the Google Play store and the added competition from Firefox OS and Jolla won't help Tizen's position.
                    What? Tizen will have its own app store, and there's no reason why app developers wouldn't sell their apps in it. Play isn't the only Android app store in the world...

Also, Jolla won't release in all markets. They can't release in the US because the local patent system is a mess, and Samsung can probably sell bricks as phones in Korea and Japan, they have very strong market position in the far east...

Yes, of course there's competition, that's what makes it interesting. At this point, it's far too early to say which ones win and which ones lose - it's all open at this point. I'm just saying, the situation isn't nearly as clear-cut as you claim.

Comment

Working...
                    X