Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
Not everyone cares about good integrations with Google's services. Most people are probably happy as long as they can watch youtube vids and do google searches, and since both work via web anyway, that's not an issue.
Any data to support the "most people" claim? (usage of youtube mobile site vs app?)? If I was to guess stuff I'd say people also use smartphones for e-mails, contacts, maps, music, more often than for searching the web.

Depends how you look at it. More efficient use of limited resources, leading to potentially better battery life, is a definite benefit.
I've had 2 linux smartphones with natives apps, and both were awful in terms of battery life.
That, and there are phone with better battery life (motorola rzr m of a colleague had a full 2 days of battery life), and it definitely isn't enough for success.

Lack of Play store didn't stop Amazon, why would it stop Samsung?
It certainly doesn't help Amazon though. They are mostly making tablets that requires less "accessibility" apps and more "premium" apps (games, productivity apps). Accessibility apps needs to be numerous (you need a different one for any single thing you need to do), while premium apps are much less numerous, and much more likely to be ported (due to bigger teams and better visibility on any platform).
But yes, that makes car/TV/tablets more accessible for non-major systems (except for vendor lock-in, when you have to pay your apps again if you change OS provider).

Also, one important thing is that Amazon is a software minded company, while Samsung isn't. They make incredible hardware, but suck at deploying large IT projects (different mentality, skills and way of working required).

Besides, the same thing applies to Jolla and Firefox OS as well, neither of them have access to Google Play either.
Indeed.