X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try hdparm-read test on KDE (we don't have gksudo):

Code:
    =================================
    hdparm Timed Disk Reads Benchmark (Run 1 of 3)
    ./hdparm-su: 3: gksudo: not found
    Root permission needed to run hdparm benchmark.
    I try hdparm-read test using sudo:
    Code:
    Disk To Read:

1: First SATA Disk (sda)
    2: Second SATA Disk (sdb)
    3: Third SATA Disk (sdc)

Please Enter Your Choice: 1
    This application executable could not be found in . or /root/pts-benchmark-env/hdparm-read/.
    Benchmark terminating

RAMspeed test worked fine, but when I upload test, it says I achieved 0MB/s?

Comment

Can you create a tools to check what is the minimum and the recommanded requirement to play a Linux video-game?

Comment

Sacha:

Working out some bugs in the RAMSpeed parsing, since it outputs four sets of results simultaneously as you can see. That will be fixed in the forthcoming 0.1.1 release.

hdparm is still to be addressed as it requires root access.

pierluc: We may evaluate that possibility, but I am sure most users with their current hardware would have no problems playing any of the recent games.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yes, but in the future the Linux video games will be bigger and it will be useful. It's also more professional to give this informations on a a video game web site like http://www.jeuxlinux.fr/ .

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
            Yes, but in the future the Linux video games will be bigger
            We hope, every year we hear that but in reality there hasn't been any huge advancement in linux game publishing in years.

Comment

Some additional aspects (tested with current git snapshot):

a) You now require /usr/bin/time, that's ok, but then tell the ppl to install it if not present,

b) nexuiz install requires unzip, thats also not default

c) errors shown when compiling php: bison flex lemon are misssing, don't know if the compile really finishes or not, do you check errorlevel?

(a+b are usally installed on ubuntu - a because of dash as sh, bash uses time builtin).

A general problem is when you use the test in live mode: you run out of ram because yo do absolutely no cleanup. If you compiled a requirement then delete the sources (you can use --prefix=... and then make install), or delete what you compiled after you benched it. No need to keep those files.
              Last edited by Kano; 04 April 2008, 08:52 AM.

Comment

a. it will be more clear to users in next release.
                b. yeah
                c. It still compiles.

The scripts will be cleaned up more once pts-core is settled... However, patches are always welcome if others wish to clean them up too.

For all those interested, please check out the latest git and report back as there should be improved hardware and software detection (including distro name). Thanks,
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Quake4 demo gets 404 error on suite initialization

I get the following error during suite initialization for benchmark games.

Installing Benchmark: quake4
                  --07:34:16-- ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/qua...-1.4.2.x86.run
                  => `quake4-linux.run'
                  Resolving ftp.idsoftware.com... 192.246.40.185
                  Connecting to ftp.idsoftware.com|192.246.40.185|:21... connected.
                  Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
                  ==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
                  ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /idstuff/quake4/linux ... done.
                  ==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR quake4-linux-1.4.2.x86.run ... done.
                  Length: 287,552,973 (274M) (unauthoritative)

100%[================================================== ================>] 287,552,973 91.79K/s ETA 00:00

08:26:56 (88.88 KB/s) - `quake4-linux.run' saved [287552973]

--08:26:56-- http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/b...demo-1.tar.bz2
                  => `quake4-demo.tar.bz2'
                  Resolving www.phoronix-test-suite.com... 70.85.96.187
                  Connecting to www.phoronix-test-suite.com|70.85.96.187|:80... connected.
                  HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
                  08:26:56 ERROR 404: Not Found.

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
                  perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows.
                  bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
                  Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
                  You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
                  data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 2
                  tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
                  mv: cannot stat `pts.demo': No such file or directory
                  Verifying archive integrity... All good.
                  Uncompressing Quake 4 (TM).............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................
                  Quake 4 Game Files (*.pk4) Must Be Copied Into /root/pts-benchmark-env/quake4/q4base
                  Also Copy Your Game Key File To ~/.quake4/q4base/quake4key (If Not Already There)

I tried to go to benchmark directory, but it gets a 404.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Comment

yeah, good work. i have an off-topic question: how many developers have worked on it? just you michael or did you "enjoy" some external help?

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
                      yeah, good work. i have an off-topic question: how many developers have worked on it? just you michael or did you "enjoy" some external help?

Up to this point it's just been me coding with the input of one other person, who wishes to remain anonymous at this time. However, there are a handful of companies now working to produce profiles for their software.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X