X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice, glad to hear that

Comment

PTS port to Windows

Can PTS be ever ported to Windows? MacOS?

A Windows port would gain:
      + comparable benchmark results between Linux/Windows
      + wider acceptance of the PTS as a test suite (due to the previous point)

Otherwise PTS will still be valuable for Linuxer's, but would not help Linux marketing efforts as it would still be dismissed by Windows users as a `Linux toy`.

Right now we should not have as an objective to replace established Windows benchmarks such as PC Mark / 3D Mark and this is no attempt at suggesting such a thing. I suppose PTS is too young for this kind of competition - and it will be for at least a couple of years.

So can we hope for some comparable benchmarks across platforms? Console, gui - whatever! How hard would it be to do?
      No sarcasm included here. No reading between the lines, please, as I post in good faith.
      I just want to check if others are interested in this idea, and I intend no push for features. Also I seek the opinion of programmers better than myself (that is almost any programmer :-) ) to estimate the porting effort.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I got my answer by carefully reading the article:
      The only pre-requisites for the Phoronix Test Suite are that you are running Linux (though other operating systems could easily be supported) and that you have the standard development tools/libraries installed (so that the Phoronix Test Suite can compile any of the needed benchmarks) along with php5-cli.
      Quote from the article page 2, second paragraph

Thanks again, Michael
      Last edited by bogdanbiv; 06 April 2008, 02:38 PM. Reason: add the quote of the answer

Comment

companies profile

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Up to this point it's just been me coding with the input of one other person, who wishes to remain anonymous at this time. However, there are a handful of companies now working to produce profiles for their software.
        Michael, what kind of contributors do you need?
        Oh, the part about companies is just marvelous.
        Should those companies allow, you should start bragging about their support - I guess it would gain much more collaborators.

Comment

Originally posted by bogdanbiv View Post
          Should those companies allow, you should start bragging about their support - I guess it would gain much more collaborators.
          Some of the involved companies will be clear in the near future... At least one so far is going as far as releasing a special demo of their softwate that is specifically designed for use with the PTS.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

amd/ati..............(need 10 characters to send this message^^)

Comment

So can we hope for some comparable benchmarks across platforms? Console, gui - whatever! How hard would it be to do?
              It really wouldn't be hard to do at all since it runs atop the PHP5/Zend engine. It would more come down to compatibility issues with the profiles/test scripts as many of those cannot be built the same on Windows. Pts-core itself is very portable and just requires changing out the interface for reading the hardware/software attributes. While it would be a simple task, I just won't have the time to do it as my schedule is already bottlenecked.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Michael, what kind of contributors do you need?

Testers just running it out with their different PC(s) when a new release is out or better yet using git frequently and reporting your feedback to the forums.

If you see an application lacking a profile, you could also write one yourself and submit it It's quite easy to do.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you, Michael! Great work and I really like the idea of profiles for suites and single benchmarks.

Comment

Nice work !!!

I would like to get the test running natively under Mandriva Spring (at least this version) .

I've already modified:
                    ./pts/distro-scripts/install-mandriva-packages.sh
                    ./pts/distro-xml/mandriva-packages.xml

In order to adjsut installation commands and packages name (close to fedora but not all).

I think i need something to modify, but could you guide me a little?
                    I'm a mandriva long-term contributor (9 years) and i really appreciate this testing suite, i'm there for providing full feeedbackk for the test suite (and of course some specifities to mandriva if needed). Are you OK with this addition?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_ST View Post
                      Nice work !!!

I would like to get the test running natively under Mandriva Spring (at least this version) .

I've already modified:
                      ./pts/distro-scripts/install-mandriva-packages.sh
                      ./pts/distro-xml/mandriva-packages.xml

In order to adjsut installation commands and packages name (close to fedora but not all).

I think i need something to modify, but could you guide me a little?
                      I'm a mandriva long-term contributor (9 years) and i really appreciate this testing suite, i'm there for providing full feeedbackk for the test suite (and of course some specifities to mandriva if needed). Are you OK with this addition?
                      Hi Dr_ST,

I'll be happy to push the Mandriva changes upstream once they're working.

That should be all the modifications that are needed to support the "PTS External Dependencies". Is it not working for you? If it's not, I think then it would be a problem in install-mandriva-packages.sh maybe, as it should be auto-detected just fine if the distribution name is being detected properly.

If that's the case, what's the output of phoronix-test-suite diagnostics? It will display something like:

=================================
                      Phoronix Test Suite v0.3.1 (TRONDHEIM)
                      Diagnostics Dump
                      =================================

PTS_VERSION = 0.3.1
                      PTS_CODENAME = TRONDHEIM
                      PTS_TYPE = DESKTOP
                      THIS_RUN_TIME = 1208810964
                      XML_PROFILE_LOCATION = pts/benchmark-profiles/
                      XML_SUITE_LOCATION = pts/benchmark-suites/
                      DISTRO_XML_LOCATION = pts/distro-xml/
                      DISTRO_SCRIPT_LOCATION = pts/distro-scripts/
                      BENCHMARK_RESOURCE_LOCATION = pts/benchmark-resources/
                      PTS_USER_DIR = /home/michael/.phoronix-test-suite/
                      BENCHMARK_ENVIRONMENT = /home/michael/pts-benchmark-env/
                      SAVE_RESULTS_LOCATION = /home/michael/pts-test-results/

Environmental Variables (accessible via test scripts):
                      PTS_TYPE = DESKTOP
                      PTS_VERSION = 0.3.1
                      NUM_CPU_CORES = 2
                      NUM_CPU_JOBS = 3
                      SYS_MEMORY = 1982
                      VIDEO_MEMORY = 512
                      VIDEO_WIDTH = 1680
                      VIDEO_HEIGHT = 1050
                      OS = Ubuntu
                      OS_VERSION = 8.04
                      OS_ARCH = x86_64
                      THIS_RUN_TIME = 1208810964
                      Then in the environmental variables, is the OS = showing "Mandriva" or something else? the name of the distro-packages.xml and install-distro-packages.sh is where distro is the lowercase version of OS.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X