radeon driver thinkpad external monitor issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radeon driver thinkpad external monitor issues

I have a thinkpad T42p with FireGL Mobility T2] (rev 80) running Debian testing and am using the opensource radeon driver xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.8.0-1. I normally have the thinkpad docked with the lid closed and use an external monitor.
    I used to use fglrx until it became unusable because it wouldn't show anything in my gnome panel. With fglrx, it would display everything on the external monitor and the internal monitor if it was open on startup. If the lid was closed it would only display on the external monitor. This is the expected behavior. With the radeon driver, on bootup all of the way through displaying the gdm login screen, it displays on the external and internal monitors regardless of whether the lid is open or not. When I log in and gnome starts, the external monitor is turned off and only the internal monitor displays. I have to open the lid, open a terminal, run an xrandr command to turn on the external display and turn off the internal display then close the lid(which triggers sleep mode) then wake from sleep and all is fine. I can use xrandr commands to change from external only, internal only, internal and external big screen, and internal and external clone. I tried to configure my xorg.conf to start the way I want(external on internal off) but it didn't work. Only the manual xrandr commands seem to work. There should be an easier way to get what I want. Anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by fz0dbx View Post
    I have a thinkpad T42p with FireGL Mobility T2] (rev 80) running Debian testing and am using the opensource radeon driver xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.8.0-1. I normally have the thinkpad docked with the lid closed and use an external monitor.
    I used to use fglrx until it became unusable because it wouldn't show anything in my gnome panel. With fglrx, it would display everything on the external monitor and the internal monitor if it was open on startup. If the lid was closed it would only display on the external monitor. This is the expected behavior. With the radeon driver, on bootup all of the way through displaying the gdm login screen, it displays on the external and internal monitors regardless of whether the lid is open or not. When I log in and gnome starts, the external monitor is turned off and only the internal monitor displays. I have to open the lid, open a terminal, run an xrandr command to turn on the external display and turn off the internal display then close the lid(which triggers sleep mode) then wake from sleep and all is fine. I can use xrandr commands to change from external only, internal only, internal and external big screen, and internal and external clone. I tried to configure my xorg.conf to start the way I want(external on internal off) but it didn't work. Only the manual xrandr commands seem to work. There should be an easier way to get what I want. Anyone have any ideas?
    Add:
    Option "IgnoreLidStatus" "FALSE"
    to the device section of your config.

This is not enabled by default since acpi in many laptops does not report lid status properly.

Alternatively, you can also add a monitor section for LVDS and add the following option there:
    Option "Disable" "TRUE"

Alex

Comment

Working...
    X