Valve Begins Landing SteamOS Changes In Steam Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    SteamOS is not here to promote Linux. It's here to promote Steam. They're not interested in Desktop Computing. They are interested in selling video games.
    Why can people post something short-sighted like this?
    1) Valve is pissed off Windows 8 because of its store
    2) Valve want to promote their own system. Happily Linux based.
    3) Valve wants as many users as possible
    3a) As many SteamOS users as possible
    3b) With LOWER priority they want sell "more" games. Their shop is running great already.
    4) A BigPicutre Mode closed system (at least for normal users) is not attractive and not good for point 3) including a) and b)

Comment

So much talk about "Big Picture"...

And nobody menationed normal desktop apps You can buy via Steam....

Yes. Because its perfectly normal for Valve to make product that ease consumption of their games, but not their apps....

(Customized kernel folks -> get the F away, and back to W. Or read up on Linux kernel development)

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        I'd like to see KDE+Steam+Optimizations+UniqueSteamTheme.
        An only sane setting. Gnome is just unusable for typical users.

Comment

Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
          Indeed that sidebar is pretty big by default. But you can adjust the size and make it smaller.

Gaming on Ubuntu will will have the same result as gaming on SteamOS.
          Don't believe me? Just wait and see...
          Ubuntu is to heavy to be any good for gaming as you have to run Compiz and Unity + Bloatware + Adware + NIH Patch sets + all the other lame as shit and that huge Windows 9 looking side bar can't really get any smaller also it's not

The fact is Ubuntu now is going to have to fallow Valve on OS Performance

just think about it how in the Fuck is Ubuntu going to in any way keep up to Valve? Valve on Day one of a Kernel release can drop it in just like Arch Linux a new Nvidia drivers realease updates! day one the days of non rolling realeases for gaming are soon to be over

the best part is there is many way's to compile the linux kernel to boost Performance for gaming also Steam OS may end up using systemd and Wayland a bigger boost in Performance look at gentoo they twink there linux to work best for there hardware you can't say Ubuntu is doing the same as they pull most all of there packages from Debian

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            Ubuntu is to heavy to be any good for gaming as you have to run Compiz and Unity + Bloatware + Adware + NIH Patch sets + all the other lame as shit and that huge Windows 9 looking side bar can't really get any smaller also it's not
            If you are talking about the sidebar to the left, like in this image: http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/...jpg?1372917735
            Then yes, it can get smaller. You can set the size of that

And when it comes to Unity or using something else like, KDE, XFCE, GNOME, it really doesn't matter. As long as unredirect fullscreen is enabled, you'll get the same performance. I hated Unity before, I was always going back to gnome2 or mate when running Ubuntu, but gaming has always been the same with that option on.

Nowdays I use Fedora on my main computer and Ubuntu on my laptop, both works great.

But hey, we will see. But I doubt that it will differ.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
              I am pretty sure valve will not even have a display server installed on SteamOS, has SteamOS is intended to run one software in full screen and everything else is an overlay on top of it, so will most likely use the frame buffer for optimum performance.
              Optimum performance is had with a display server. Why do you think full-screen scrolling is faster in a terminal on an X11 desktop than in a 1280x1024 framebuffer console? It's because only embedded devices have framebuffer drivers with 2D acceleration beyond a simple enhancement to vertical scrolling.

The accelerated drivers that Valve has put so much work into helping GPU manufacturers improve are only for the X.org X11 display server.

Plus, Steam and the already-available Linux ports for games are using the X11 API. They'd have to be insane and stupid to expect everyone to use a different stack for SteamOS after all the work they've already put into X11.

Comment

Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
                And when it comes to Unity or using something else like, KDE, XFCE, GNOME, it really doesn't matter. As long as unredirect fullscreen is enabled, you'll get the same performance. I hated Unity before, I was always going back to gnome2 or mate when running Ubuntu, but gaming has always been the same with that option on.
                The problem is that not all games let you Alt-Tab in "real fullscreen". I like Xfce + Xfwm because it has "fake fullscreen" (Alt+F11) which always lets you Alt-Tab, but I disable compositing anyway.

Comment

Using ANY desktop environment in SteamOS would be very problematic. Who has used Gnome or KDE in TV with gamepad?
                  Support for even alt-tabbing is difficult because such shortcuts are dangerous for unexpecting users (after pressing wrong button games just disappear etc.).

We already have Fedora, Ubuntu and other distros for general purpose computing. If Valve has any sense SteamOS is going to be a closed big picture mode by default (buy hopefully easy to extend and modify).

Comment

I am pretty sure (a gut feeling, lets say) they will just introduce a very basic full screen window manager, similar to what XBMC does when run without one. This is sufficient for all games and I think most desktop applications (i.e. like blender does it, etc).

Comment

Practically speaking, I think we're going to have a proper usable desktop system besides the Big Picture mode. I mean, I'm sure at least some of the Valve devs want it, and I'm sure it's necessary to have at least a desktop environment to get windowed games and other types of desktop applications available on Steam working (not to mention all the IDEs and tools and all that good stuff).

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      The problem is that not all games let you Alt-Tab in "real fullscreen". I like Xfce + Xfwm because it has "fake fullscreen" (Alt+F11) which always lets you Alt-Tab, but I disable compositing anyway.
                      Actually, Valve kinda sorta fixed that - You can always alt-tab from the Steam overlay.
                      So the "kinda sorta" in there is that it works from the overlay only, but that's still pretty cool and useful. Real fullscreen is (in my experience) faster and more reliable than fake fullscreen anyway (at least, when you have window compositing enabled).

Comment

Working...
                      X