Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Valve Begins Landing SteamOS Changes In Steam Client

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,429

    Default Valve Begins Landing SteamOS Changes In Steam Client

    Phoronix: Valve Begins Landing SteamOS Changes In Steam Client

    Valve has begun pushing Steam Big Picture changes for SteamOS into their public Steam client, but hidden behind a command-line argument...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxMDY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I guess Steam Big Picture will be the only User Interface accessible without hacks . . . i hoped it will be a fully usable computer but it's just another console.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I guess Steam Big Picture will be the only User Interface accessible without hacks . . . i hoped it will be a fully usable computer but it's just another console.
    Lets see how different the SteamOS stack will be from other distros. If it is pretty much the sabe, there would be no point in valve spending resources in building yet another linux distro. Advanced users can always install whatever distro they choose and benefit from the kernel, drivers and other advances provided by SteamOS for linux and click on "Big Picture" when they want the SteamOS experience. I don't see any problem with that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Seriously, who thought SteamOS would be a full fledged Operating System compared to Windows or Fedora/Ubuntu etc.
    SteamOS is steam on top of GNU/Linux and nothing else. Maybe some more features, but that's about it.

    They never claimed anything else. It's for gaming, that's all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    27

    Default

    For a fully usable computer, you install Steam client on your current OS, and not SteamOS, problem solved.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vivo View Post
    For a fully usable computer, you install Steam client on your current OS, and not SteamOS, problem solved.
    The problem is not me. I build my pcs by myself. If VALVE would install KDE maybe with their steam-theme SteamOS and therefore Linux would become a serious alternative for Desktop Computing and Gaming.
    But the normal stupid user is not able to do something different than use the predefined system. Thus i really hope VALVE does install any Desktop Environment. There is really no need the reinvent the wheel.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    i hoped it will be a fully usable computer but it's just another console.
    What I expect SteamOS to be.

    #1 Ubuntu with Valve logos everywhere.
    #2 Customized kernel and stuff.
    #3 Gnome or XFCE UI with Steam logos

    What I hope SteamOS to be.

    #1 Ubuntu with heavy modifications.
    #2 Lots of kernel tweaks that actually outperform stock.
    #3 Custom UI derived from Gnome.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    The problem is not me. I build my pcs by myself. If VALVE would install KDE maybe with their steam-theme SteamOS and therefore Linux would become a serious alternative for Desktop Computing and Gaming.
    But the normal stupid user is not able to do something different than use the predefined system. Thus i really hope VALVE does install any Desktop Environment. There is really no need the reinvent the wheel.
    I agree with you fully. I also build my own PCs and run Fedora with KDE. I hope Valve will produce a general computer/OS, optimised for gaming, and not just another console.
    What I think would be great for SteamOS is the following: Boot into Big Pic mode, offer system info/updates through it, but also have a button or something to take you to a normal Linux desktop environment Gnome/KDE/XFCE whatever allowing you to use the hardware as a general computer and install additional software. Then, when finished with the general tasks, click on an icon and it takes you back to Big Pic Mode.
    The reason to use Big Pic Mode as default, is because the OS is targeting the living room and the TV. But an option to choose the default will be awesome.

    On a second thought, all this can be achieved by using a desktop distro like Ubuntu, launch Steam client on boot, and slightly tweak the Steam client. Then rebrand the product, call it SteamOS, design a few logos and wallpapers and call it a day.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    #3 Custom UI derived from Gnome.
    I really do not understand this. I really do not get it why everybody prefers Gnome. You need for everthing a extension that does not integrate very well in many cases. KDE on the other side has much room for customization and runs out of the box. Gnome has waaay too few settings. Fully featured Desktop Environments don't suck a significant number of fps at least not more than Gnome which is everything but fully featured

    Hmmm ... this is Off-Topic, sorry

    I'd like to see KDE+Steam+Optimizations+UniqueSteamTheme.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    What I expect SteamOS to be.

    #1 Ubuntu with Valve logos everywhere.
    #2 Customized kernel and stuff.
    #3 Gnome or XFCE UI with Steam logos

    What I hope SteamOS to be.

    #1 Ubuntu with heavy modifications.
    #2 Lots of kernel tweaks that actually outperform stock.
    #3 Custom UI derived from Gnome.
    i hate to break it to you but the Steam OS will not be based off from Ubuntu

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •