Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: Qt 5.3 Might Depend On SSE2 CPUs

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    IWith all the advancements in low power CPU and APU systems a bottom of the line Atom or Brazos based system will blow your decade old CPU out of the water and use fraction of the power to do so.

    It's time to let go of pre 64-bit hardware. Just because it still runs doesn't mean it's still worth running. A Model T Ford may still work, but you wouldn't choose one as your daily driver..
    For sure, anyone with an old system will suddenly have the money to replace it, just because you say so. Get real, not all people are living in first world countries with cheap hardware available.

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    For sure, anyone with an old system will suddenly have the money to replace it, just because you say so. Get real, not all people are living in first world countries with cheap hardware available.
    If thats the case then they also shouldn't expect to run the latest and greatest software. The first world countries aren't going to wait for anyone to catch up. If the 3rd world countries don't like it they can put resources into education so that they can have their own developers that can make software tailored to the older hardware used by their nations populace.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    If thats the case then they also shouldn't expect to run the latest and greatest software. The first world countries aren't going to wait for anyone to catch up. If the 3rd world countries don't like it they can put resources into education so that they can have their own developers that can make software tailored to the older hardware used by their nations populace.
    Why didn't I expect a different answer? Are you really that close minded? Don't bother to answer, someone with that mindset is not worth being read by me, welcome to my ignore list, moron.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    IWith all the advancements in low power CPU and APU systems a bottom of the line Atom or Brazos based system will blow your decade old CPU out of the water and use fraction of the power to do so.

    It's time to let go of pre 64-bit hardware. Just because it still runs doesn't mean it's still worth running. A Model T Ford may still work, but you wouldn't choose one as your daily driver.

    Any specialized low performance requirement you have for old hardware can probably be done on an ARM chip for even less power consumption with the same or better performance over the decade old x86 hardware.
    To others that might read this; it is only written for this child and there is no reason to get excited

    as some one who actually knows what hes talking about i tell you

    no
    no
    and no

    atom and brazos can suck my athlon xp

    32bit is sometimes faster to use on 64bit cpus and even P4 had sse

    even the top arm can suck an atom



    i have a new monster cpu now
    you know whats it good for ?
    its good only for new, poorly optimized, games
    like the CoD you probably play

    advances ?
    what fucking advances
    Moore's law does not apply anymore, and it didnt for a while now
    even so what complex thing does a 2D gui do that it needs a monster cpu

    third world countries holding first world back ?
    what the fuck are you talking about
    i know plenty of people that have money to god and never get a new computer
    why dont they ?
    'cuz they dont need it
    in fact you can run a fairly high load server on a P4

    also google cpu dispatching
    not that i expect you too understand what it means


    To others:
    KDE devs know what they are doing and it will not hurt none of users
    not the old computers, neither the newest
    cpu dispatching is a method to make this kind of things work at best efficiency (example glibc, x264, etc.)

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    cpu dispatching is a method to make this kind of things work at best efficiency (example glibc, x264, etc.)
    The only thing I get from the article is that SSE3 is implemented through CPU dispatching. SSE vs. SSE2 seems to be (again, according to how Michael expressed it, maybe it is wrong or I am reading it wrong) a build time option.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    its good only for new, poorly optimized, games
    like the CoD you probably play
    hum that was some good, constructive comment

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    The only thing I get from the article is that SSE3 is implemented through CPU dispatching. SSE vs. SSE2 seems to be (again, according to how Michael expressed it, maybe it is wrong or I am reading it wrong) a build time option.
    ye, i didnt read it with understanding
    its not about the whole QT

    its 'cuz of QT's QML JIT engine thing
    they will probably (maybe) add non-SSE2 to it later
    idk
    i dont care much about java


    fact is almost all cpu's have at least sse1
    then again its about the big picture, as in ARM dosent
    and again, QT devs know what they are doing
    (i called them KDE devs in last post)


    @ erendorn
    its hard to guess the tone of
    but it is a valid point

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    its 'cuz of QT's QML JIT engine thing
    they will probably (maybe) add non-SSE2 to it later
    They have non-SSE2 support already. They only don't build it by default.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkcoder View Post
    Yes, while Gentoo well tuned can do miracles (I used it for a couple of years), some people try to use very old computers with the latest software. And you have to know when you need to move.
    I recently installed Lubuntu on an old 2.4 GHz P4 with 512 MB RAM. It was rather slow. Then I installed Gentoo+LXDE on it, and it became much more usable. When dual-booting between the two, I could tell the difference almost immediately. Of course there are some drawbacks, like Firefox taking 6 hours to compile. If it gets annoying enough, I am going to use distcc or similar.

    The gap between generic builds and optimized for modern CPU builds has grown ever larger. Only after x86_64 was introduced, SSE2 became the new common baseline for 64 bit code. From that perspective, the decision to require SSE2 in the official builds seems certainly understandable (distros will change the build parameters anyway to match their supported platforms).

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    572

    Default I just played 1080p video on a P4 running Cinnamon, so P4 is hardly dead

    Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    third world countries holding first world back ?
    what the fuck are you talking about
    i know plenty of people that have money to god and never get a new computer
    why dont they ?
    'cuz they dont need it
    in fact you can run a fairly high load server on a P4
    And Cinnamon has a reputation (maybe unjustly) as the heaviest DE out there. I just rebuilt a damaged P4/2.8 GHZ Prescott machine, needed a $4.77 CPU replacement and I also dropped in an Nvidia GT520 I had sitting on the shelf doing nothing. Running Mint 14 and Nvidia's blob, it plays 1080P video at maybe 30% CPU load using vdpau. Heat sink is small for that power hog of a chip, so it's noisy but it just went from E-waste to being a computer that can do anything my Bulldozer rig can except editing HD video and playing 0ad(not installed, would probably run but bog down fast). Best $5 I spent in years. Yes, it has SSE2, but what do you want to bet an older Northwood AGP rig could take a GT 9600 and the blob and do the same. I don't know of any ATI cards with UVD support for H264 and an AGP connection other than a big and hot high-end HD3xxx series cards I've seen. Used the GT520 because I was out of ATI cards.

    This being so, going to someone and suggesting they spend even $300 to throw away a computer that works is nuts. Wonder why MS has so much trouble selling pre-installed Windows 8 on new machines to people who have XP machines that work? You don't even save any power replacing Prescott with a 4 core (or 6, or 8 core) processor that uses even more power when it is wide-open, you just get the ability to do things you didn't do before and may or may not need to do now. As for Atom, my netbook is at its limits on 720P video, has no PCI-e slot for a VDPAU capable video device.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •