Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Qt 5.3 Might Depend On SSE2 CPUs

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Did you mean videos with dimensions only a little bigger than a match box ?
    So you know only those two extremes? Your experience must be rather limited then, but it is more likely that you are just a troll.

I have tried Sabayon, Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, Crunchbang and none gave a smooth desktop experience on that machine for kids. Regards to the CPU usage, no matter what software being used (CMUS, Audacity, DeadBeef, GNOME player, VLC, etc). Note that this behavior happens on Windows XP and Windows Media Player too.
    That looks like your hardware isn't configured correctly or just broken.

In conclusion, when installing modern software on ancient hardware and expecting them to run smoothly, you should be quite ballsy or willing to torture somebody.
    I was only that ballsy, it actually worked without torturing people. Am I a here now for knowing how to configure an OS for a low-spec system? Or is your argumentation just invalid?

Quote Originally Posted by shaurz View Post
    Time to retire you Athlon XP ;-)
    NEVER!

Ok, well maybe it's time to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    So you know only those two extremes? Your experience must be rather limited then, but it is more likely that you are just a troll.
    Bingo!

That looks like your hardware isn't configured correctly or just broken.
    To be honest I don't care anymore, and I'm not going to waste my time anymore on that. I can't point a gun on children heads and force them to do their homework with that machine.

I was only that ballsy, it actually worked without torturing people. Am I a here now for knowing how to configure an OS for a low-spec system? Or is your argumentation just invalid?
    It's admirable and I'm really glad that you were successful to revive that machine for your daily use.

Can anyone pls explain to me what kind of specific advantages it would bring supporting sse2 (or sse3) only cpus?

Quote Originally Posted by sonnet View Post
    Can anyone pls explain to me what kind of specific advantages it would bring supporting sse2 (or sse3) only cpus?
    As others have pointed out- it's a compiler default, not "supporting sse2 (or sse3) only cpus"... And the advantage here is Hardware acceleration, which should lead to increased performance on operations where sse(X) is applicable. (floating point). So in Qt, it probably speeds up drawing operations, graphical processing - things like that. wikipedia on SSE; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions ... and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2 (the SSE2 article also has a paragraph on the differences between 'the slower x87 stack' and SSE2.

Quote Originally Posted by curfew View Post
    The whole article seems rubbish, it's like Michael was completely drunk. Half of the writing is nonsensical gibberish.
    This. Dammit Michael, it's not even minor typos, it's like an ostrich shat on it, then put it in a blender.

Oh and props to Qt for implementing charset conversions with SSE2, that's the first I hear them used for that. Even if it's been in Qt for three years now.

Quote Originally Posted by curfew View Post
    The whole article seems rubbish, it's like Michael was completely drunk. Half of the writing is nonsensical gibberish.
    Speaking of drunkenness, it's been a while since we've had a good Phoronix beer article...

SSE2 is the first generation of SIMD (Single Instruction Multiple Data) extensions giving ability to process two double precious floating point numbers at once, and more abilities to previous Integer only extension (MMX).

So what does this have to do with Qt 5? Well, they are using SSE2 (and higher versions if detected) on their 64bit releases, which accelerates their QML stuff. However on 32bit builds, all kind of SSE optimizations are turned off (By default). So this is going to be a pure win for modern CPU owners, who are running a 32bit OS.

Regards to the SSE3, it's going to give them ability to process 4 single precious floating point numbers (stored in one SIMD register) horizontally which wasn't possible (directly) in previous generations. This might be slower or faster depending on the hardware.

speed, speed, and more speed.

but even GLib these days have a codepath to use SSE2. No idea what the fuss, since don't remember people talking about it when glib introduced a similar approach.

http://upstream-tracker.org/changelo...changelog.html

If you have an old 2000-2003 computer you should either stop using new software and go back to Win 98/Linux 2.x based kernel distro, or get new hardware... plain and simple.