No announcement yet.

Mark Shuttleworth Sends Out Apologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am too silly. I really don't get the details here, lol.
    Nevermind, Ubuntu will live in the big shadow of SteamOS anyways and the glorious times of Canonical will end sooner or later.*

*Note: This statement is free from any jugdmental oppinions.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      Yes, but in the context of the insult to Mir critics is where who I quoted feels it is incomplete. He did apologize to tea party supporters for using it as an insult. Again, the same way I criticize him when he does wrong, I recognize he is apologizing for it.

Yes... LOL, you are right!

I don't understand what you mean here.
      Never mind

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        *Note: This statement is free from any jugdmental oppinions.
        No, it is not. You are judging SteamOS will practically wipe out Ubuntu, and that's your opinion and your judgement. You are not basing upon any facts, or at least not exposing them.

Comment

No, it is not. You are judging SteamOS will practically wipe out Ubuntu, and that's your opinion and your judgement. You are not basing upon any facts, or at least not exposing them.
          Note that I agree SteamOS will have greater success, but that doesn't change a bit the fact it is an opinion. Also, I don't think that SteamOS will lead Ubuntu's user base to shrink in the most tiny bit, as it mostly competes against consoles and already gaming friendly platforms (Windows, mostly). Ubuntu was just starting to be usable in that front, and it will get better thanks to SteamOS, so the ones who already chose Ubuntu will keep their choice (except for changes on Ubuntu, that is).

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Notice that he only apologizes to the "non-technical" folks, which he repeats a few times.
            Also, he did state the insult was never targeted to the ones with technical concerns, and he stated this kind of feedback is welcome.

Comment

Why would the Tea Party be upset. They should understand that perhaps their current tactics are anti business and harmful to the economy. Unless they are really just a group of religious right culture war leftovers under a new banner.

Comment

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
                Why would the Tea Party be upset. They should understand that perhaps their current tactics are anti business and harmful to the economy. Unless they are really just a group of religious right culture war leftovers under a new banner.
                First, some of them probably think otherwise, while some of them are probably defending their own business. The version that gets to me, I dislike it (however, I'm from another country, so it is likely there was some manipulation of the data in the way). This doesn't make it any less offensive to them to be used as an insult. It was not just a comparison, which wouldn't be necessarily offensive, it was an insult, and nobody likes to be used as such.

Comment

Oh dear. Are you bored? For you i will make clear that its a prediction. The supporting fact is obvious so i will not explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Oh dear. Are you bored?
                    As a matter of fact, I am.

For you i will make clear that its a prediction. The supporting fact is obvious so i will not explain it.
                    It is a prediction? So, you can also tell me if it is going to rain tomorrow?
                    There are several arguable things in your assumption.
                    The first is that the SteamBox will actually be a HUGE success. AFAIK, it is just a well-thought desktop computer with SteamOS preinstalled. A gamer could as well buy it to avoid the work of planning the hardware he is going to use piece by piece, and then install Windows on it. There might be games that remain unsupported on Linux/SteamOS. As this setup will still require the gamer to have a decent Windows box running it, this would probably change this "at least I don't have to look for the hardware" plan, or keep it as "then I'll switch to Windows".
                    Aside of SteamBox, I don't think SteamOS will have huge adoption, as games will keep running on Windows, and games ported to SteamOS will (as far as we know) run on any Linux machine with the Steam Runtime, so Linux users aren't likely to migrate either, again, with the exception of buying a SteamBox.
                    And again, people who already migrated to Ubuntu, I'm inclined to think games weren't the deal maker nor the deal breaker for them, as Ubuntu gained almost decent support for games just recently. This means an OS which is mostly target to gaming will be "meh" for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                      The owner of fixubuntu.com was appealing to the 'nominative fair use ' ,but sadly, his own website did not pass the application of his own argument. You have to take a look at the original website to realize that canonical was right. In reality , there are no "first amendment" issues
                      That doesn't seem to match the fact that a) the owner of the site has lawyers supporting his argument, and b) Shuttleworth has backed down, agreeing that the use was legitimate, and blaming an over-enthusiastic new member of their legal team...

Comment

Working...
                      X