Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative is dying; any decent alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Not exactly true, it allows SOME eax titles to be wrapped to openAL, many eax titles simply do not work with Alchemy.
    true. but how effective it is has nothing to do with what it is, which is a wrapper that converts all ds3d/eax calls into openal.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Also if you campare it to the X-Fi extreme music to the sonar the X-Fi actually has higher CPU usage despite sonars drivers doing dolby encoding on the fly as well as making the EAX-->DS3D GX translations.

The performance hit (about 5%) that was present in DS3D GX 1.0 is all but gone in DS3D GX 2.0.
    yes. The Xonar drivers are very efficient; but a better test would be to test the framerate on games. However, the bigger point is that host driven 3d positional audio is very effective, which is why Creative will probably switch to it soon. What is different however, is that no 3rd party implementation of EAX I've used is as good as Creative's across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by seeker010 View Post
      true. but how effective it is has nothing to do with what it is, which is a wrapper that converts all ds3d/eax calls into openal.

yes. The Xonar drivers are very efficient; but a better test would be to test the framerate on games. However, the bigger point is that host driven 3d positional audio is very effective, which is why Creative will probably switch to it soon. What is different however, is that no 3rd party implementation of EAX I've used is as good as Creative's across the board.

Did you even read the article? They did test games.

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

I have the auzentech Prelude and the X-Meridian (using the Asus drivers) and I can tell you from personal experience in EAX difference between the two is next to non-existent. There are very subtle differences and the game performance delta isn't noticable at all while playing.

Comment

Working...
      X