Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weston's Wayland Back-End Gets More Features

Phoronix: Weston's Wayland Back-End Gets More Features

The Wayland back-end to Wayland's Weston compositor that allows for it to run inside existing compositors (i.e. nested compositing) has seen another round of improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Wayland back-end to Wayland's Weston, which uses Wayland, so that Weston can run in Wayland as a Wayland-compositor called Weston...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      The Wayland back-end to Wayland's Weston, which uses Wayland, so that Weston can run in Wayland as a Wayland-compositor called Weston...
      no wonder we've been waiting 5 years for the protocol

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Obligatory xzibit meme imminent.

Yo dawg. etc. etc.

Comment

While I often find many of wayland's/weston's new/improved features (compared to X11) to be cool, I've found a good chunk of them to be really gimmicky. This, however is not gimmicky. xephyr and xnest are the closest alternatives and to put it bluntly, they suck. You're better off doing a local VNC, which is a lot more of a pain to set up. It won't surprise me if wayland/weston did a much better job implementing this.

I'm getting pretty excited for the next KDE frameworks, assuming it will properly support wayland right from the start.

Comment

Good news!

Nice to see this improvement. It will be useful :-)

Obs.: I cannot wait for put Wayland on my Gentoo machine (I think I'll use KDE for this)

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              no wonder we've been waiting 5 years for the protocol
              Haha, lol! Now this is good, funny trolling. Being snarky but not going overboard with it, well done!

Comment

Working...
              X