Thread: Weston's Wayland Back-End Gets More Features

Default Weston's Wayland Back-End Gets More Features

Phoronix: Weston's Wayland Back-End Gets More Features

The Wayland back-end to Wayland's Weston compositor that allows for it to run inside existing compositors (i.e. nested compositing) has seen another round of improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwODU

The Wayland back-end to Wayland's Weston, which uses Wayland, so that Weston can run in Wayland as a Wayland-compositor called Weston...

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    The Wayland back-end to Wayland's Weston, which uses Wayland, so that Weston can run in Wayland as a Wayland-compositor called Weston...
    no wonder we've been waiting 5 years for the protocol

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Obligatory xzibit meme imminent.

Yo dawg. etc. etc.

While I often find many of wayland's/weston's new/improved features (compared to X11) to be cool, I've found a good chunk of them to be really gimmicky. This, however is not gimmicky. xephyr and xnest are the closest alternatives and to put it bluntly, they suck. You're better off doing a local VNC, which is a lot more of a pain to set up. It won't surprise me if wayland/weston did a much better job implementing this.

I'm getting pretty excited for the next KDE frameworks, assuming it will properly support wayland right from the start.

Default Good news!

Nice to see this improvement. It will be useful :-)

Obs.: I cannot wait for put Wayland on my Gentoo machine (I think I'll use KDE for this)

Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    no wonder we've been waiting 5 years for the protocol
    Haha, lol! Now this is good, funny trolling. Being snarky but not going overboard with it, well done!