Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

Phoronix: Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

Leadwerks, one of the recent commercial game engines that's being ported to Linux following a successful Kickstarter campaign, has shared more of their Linux game engine progress from a developer's perspective...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It took me a while to realize you have to hit "continue" once or twice when the application starts, because GDB pauses the program when it connects. This is a bizarre design choice that lead to lost hours of productivity.
    It took hours to realise that you hit c after an attach? This is documented in man page: "If you would rather the process continue running, you may use the continue command after attaching gdb to the process"

GDB itself is not a complete debugger; it shows variables only in the top-most function in the call stack
    Someone really needs to read the gdb manual: frame command.

Comment

I have found Linux to be a completely viable platform for application development.
      You don't say

Comment

Typically I have found once I get to the point of entering random terminal commands I find from Google, it's over anyways, and the only thing to do is reinstall the OS.

Comment

Oh my god, he's a developer, he ports engines to linux and he doesn't know how to install and uninstall a stupid driver?
          Ok, maybe Ubuntu sucks but what the hell: I have dynamic switching from FOSS to proprietary drivers and to different vendor's graphic cards in my gentoo box, it really isn't that hard. On the contrary it's VERY easy to achieve it.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Oh my god, he's a developer, he ports engines to linux and he doesn't know how to install and uninstall a stupid driver?
            that alone would be hilarious, but he also talks proud of it... >.>

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Ok, maybe Ubuntu sucks but what the hell: I have dynamic switching from FOSS to proprietary drivers and to different vendor's graphic cards in my gentoo box, it really isn't that hard. On the contrary it's VERY easy to achieve it.
              Actually, there are some basic gotchas that are not really obvious, such as Nouveau drivers not being blacklisted after installing ATi drivers and then uninstalling. If you know what to look at, fixing this is easy. But you have to know that you should be looking for the Xorg output logs, or syslog, or the output from lsmod to be able to diagnose this.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                It took hours to realise that you hit c after an attach? This is documented in man page: "If you would rather the process continue running, you may use the continue command after attaching gdb to the process"

Someone really needs to read the gdb manual: frame command.
                I was saddened not to be able to comment on the original blog post - I've used gdb for years for many tasks, and it's perfectly suited to debugging in all the scenarios I ran into. If you want something more GUI oriented, I would recommend Totalview (assuming you are prepared to pay for it).

Comment

Originally posted by Article
                  his isn't too much of a surprise and game developers have found this GNU debugger to be crap.
                  Got any sources for that lovely bit of FUD there, Michael?

And yeah, it seems like someone really ought to have RTFM here. Why do we even need to tell developers this.

Comment

Leadwerks "developer":
                    I just use the Code::Blocks interface. I will not use a command-line interface for a debugger.
                    Well, uhmm, yeah...

Comment

Working...
                    X