Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Publishes New Power Management, Re-Clocking Code

Phoronix: Nouveau Publishes New Power Management, Re-Clocking Code

Ben Skeggs of Red Hat published his set of kernel DRM driver changes for Nouveau to enter in the Linux 3.13 kernel... The changes are super exciting as they work on new power management and re-clocking support! From my point of view and that of many Linux enthusiasts, the lack of proper re-clocking support has been the number one limitation of this open-source NVIDIA GPU driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can you explain?

Comment

"YKW" Probably stands for "You Know What" aka "Shit Repellent"
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        "YKW" Probably stands for "You Know What" aka "Shit Repellent"
        At first I thought, that Ben received secret document donation from nvidia, then I saw all those magic numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          . When it comes to implementing GPU memory re-clocking one of the commits reads, "not even remotely ready for the vast majority of the world."
          It means the re-clocking code is in pre-alpha version or something like this?

Comment

YKW stands for You Know Who. It was to keep users from using the feature. As simple as that.

Memory reclocking isn't working well right now, but at least, engines reclocking should be supported. Memory reclocking is disabled by default. Some performance can be gained from it but that won't amount to a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
              YKW stands for You Know Who. It was to keep users from using the feature. As simple as that.

Memory reclocking isn't working well right now, but at least, engines reclocking should be supported. Memory reclocking is disabled by default. Some performance can be gained from it but that won't amount to a lot.
              Now is this automatic reclocking of the engines and memory, or user-forced reclocking? I thought it was automatic until I saw the entry about sysfs option, which then made me think it was more along the lines of "We support manual reclocking, input integers into sysfs interface to specify speed of engine and memory."

Either way its good work, and a big congratulations go out to everyone involved

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Now is this automatic reclocking of the engines and memory, or user-forced reclocking? I thought it was automatic until I saw the entry about sysfs option, which then made me think it was more along the lines of "We support manual reclocking, input integers into sysfs interface to specify speed of engine and memory."

Either way its good work, and a big congratulations go out to everyone involved
                The infrastructure is here to support dynamic reclocking, this isn't the hard part. There may be an option to enable automatic reclocking (I haven't looked too closely).

As for congrats, direct them to Ben Skeggs alone, he has been working on this for while and it is still not ready at all. This is "just" the infrastructure and some code that may barely work on your card. He still understood way more stuff than I did.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                  The infrastructure is here to support dynamic reclocking, this isn't the hard part. There may be an option to enable automatic reclocking (I haven't looked too closely).

As for congrats, direct them to Ben Skeggs alone, he has been working on this for while and it is still not ready at all. This is "just" the infrastructure and some code that may barely work on your card. He still understood way more stuff than I did.
                  Gotcha, okay, thanks for clarifying

Comment

Working...
                  X