Mesa DRI PRIME Support Comes To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    I am not sure. In any way, the WM should be completely oblivious to this though, because it's really a SDL internal thing. To the WM it just looks like your fullscreen window is conveniently the same size as the current display mode.
    That's another reason why I think it should be done using a separate compositor, because drawing of a desktop can be completely suspended in the "main" compositor (therefore it wouldn't affect the performance at all). The other thing is that the SDL approach will likely require scaling even for native screen resolutions, eg. if I have a desktop that is 1680x1050 and I run a game in 640x480, the game will be rendered in 640x480 and then upscaled to fit 1680x1050, even though the screen can handle 640x480, which means a performance loss (small one, but still...). You can try to look up that ML message, I think I wrote all of this there.

Comment

Originally posted by stativ View Post
      The other thing is that the SDL approach will likely require scaling even for native screen resolutions, eg. if I have a desktop that is 1680x1050 and I run a game in 640x480, the game will be rendered in 640x480 and then upscaled to fit 1680x1050, even though the screen can handle 640x480, which means a performance loss (small one, but still...). You can try to look up that ML message, I think I wrote all of this there.
      Of course, as the logical size you're rendering at and the actual framebuffer size will differ, you'll need to upscale the final frame, but with modern cards this isn't really a very costly operation (especially considering you can straight up skip the fragment pipeline on modern drivers). Another reason why this is very nice is because you can just Alt-Tab to messenger windows, web browsers etc. without having your monitor going through a mode switch every single time.

Comment

/OT

I've always found that weird, alt-tabbing away to something. When I play, I play - it means at least 2 hours of dedicated gaming time with zero distractions, preferably more.

Perhaps needing to check something in the middle is a symptom of ADHD?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          /OT

I've always found that weird, alt-tabbing away to something. When I play, I play - it means at least 2 hours of dedicated gaming time with zero distractions, preferably more.

Perhaps needing to check something in the middle is a symptom of ADHD?
          I certainly won't sit there for 5 minutes and stare at the screen while Dota2 is searching for a match.

Comment

Working...
          X