Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Open-Source HTML5 Terminal Emulator To Support X11

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,611

    Default Open-Source HTML5 Terminal Emulator To Support X11

    Phoronix: Open-Source HTML5 Terminal Emulator To Support X11

    The Gate One HTML5-powered terminal emulator and SSH client that goes without needing any browser plug-ins and supports many SSH/terminal features is working on bringing X11 support to the web-browser. The developer claims that this X11 support in the browser written in HTML5 will be fast enough to support video playback and he's made a video demo as proof...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwNTk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Can somebody tell me why a terminal emulator has to support network transparency? Or SSH? I thought that gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal were terminal emulators...
    (And that the SSH support came from the installed ssh)

    Also, it says it "doesn't require browser plugins" which confuses me as well. I can write an HTML5 app separate from a browser in a multitude of different ways, so how does a browser fit into this??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Can somebody tell me why a terminal emulator has to support network transparency? Or SSH? I thought that gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal were terminal emulators...
    (And that the SSH support came from the installed ssh)

    Also, it says it "doesn't require browser plugins" which confuses me as well. I can write an HTML5 app separate from a browser in a multitude of different ways, so how does a browser fit into this??
    This is about running everything inside the browser, including X11 itself. Look at the video to see how it's all running inside the browser. So, in theory you should be able to run this on any HTML5 capable browser even if it's not running on Linux, and that's why SSH and network transparency had to be implemented inside the emulator itself. It's basically designed to allow you to remote access another machine from any browser.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?
    Well

    Java, Python and other languages that used to be cross-platform isn't no more (They don't run on mobile phones and tablets).
    HTML5 (with friends) is the only true cross-platform environment we have.

    Also with Asm.JS we can get near native performance (right now about half but will get better with ES6)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    Am I the only one who feels HTML has become an operating system? A slow and memory intensive operating system that is?
    Depends... when you say "operating system", what do you mean?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Will this be a binary that just runs in a webbrowser using html5? Or can this literally be a website (ie: terminal.org or something) that you can in place of opening a terminal on your machine?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pajn View Post
    Java, Python and other languages that used to be cross-platform isn't no more (They don't run on mobile phones and tablets).
    HTML5 (with friends) is the only true cross-platform environment we have.
    I don't know about vanilla Java, but Python works just fine on my Android device.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    This is about running everything inside the browser, including X11 itself. Look at the video to see how it's all running inside the browser. So, in theory you should be able to run this on any HTML5 capable browser even if it's not running on Linux, and that's why SSH and network transparency had to be implemented inside the emulator itself. It's basically designed to allow you to remote access another machine from any browser.
    ooooooookay. Yeah, I missed that at first. I thought the terminal window was an actual window and it was just using QtWebKit or something to be written in HTML5...
    That makes much more sense now

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    13

    Cool I am the author

    Hey there... I'm the author of Gate One. If you guys have any specific questions about it or the new X11 support just ask away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •