Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Gets Two New OpenGL 4.x Support Patch Series

Phoronix: Mesa Gets Two New OpenGL 4.x Support Patch Series

With Mesa 10.0 that will be released in a few weeks time there is finally OpenGL 3.2 and 3.3 support. But with Mesa still being several years and revisions behind the latest Khronos Group specification, it's still a matter of implementing a lot of new GL4 functionality. Fortunately, there's many developers devoted to this task and on Tuesday there were patches for two new GL extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Mesa Gets Two New OpenGL 4.x Support Patch Series

With Mesa 10.0 that will be released in a few weeks time there is finally OpenGL 3.2 and 3.3 support. But with Mesa still being several years and revisions behind the latest Khronos Group specification, it's still a matter of implementing a lot of new GL4 functionality. Fortunately, there's many developers devoted to this task and on Tuesday there were patches for two new GL extensions...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwNTM
    If I'm not mistaken, both extensions are for GL 4.3, not 4.2.

It's nice to see OpenGL 4 support improving. From 14 items needed for OpenGL 4.0, 8 are done, 2 were started, and 4 are still to tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      8 are done
      Probably the easier ones.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Probably the easier ones.
        Yeah, that's usually how things go. Still, with GL 3.3 finished (in terms of Mesa infrastructure), the more difficult things can be tackled with more firepower.

I do believe that the road from GL 3.3 to GL 4.4 is considerably (i.e. many times) easier than the transition from GL 2.1 to GL 3.3.

Comment

There is a third.

Sceptic

Comment

Yeah, that's usually how things go. Still, with GL 3.3 finished (in terms of Mesa infrastructure), the more difficult things can be tackled with more firepower.

I do believe that the road from GL 3.3 to GL 4.4 is considerably (i.e. many times) easier than the transition from GL 2.1 to GL 3.3.
            Not really.

Geometry shaders and tesselation shaders are hard parts.

But Intel OpenSource Team got bigger , and AMD team got bigger, and Nouveau team have a little bit more docs, and there is more contrib from 3rd partys. More man power == faster peace of development.

Comment

i would be happy to get opengl 3.2 with the current mesa 10 running on my haswell intel. somehow it is still showing opengl 3.0 with missing some improtant extentsions, like geometric shaders.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                i would be happy to get opengl 3.2 with the current mesa 10 running on my haswell intel. somehow it is still showing opengl 3.0 with missing some improtant extentsions, like geometric shaders.
                Your glxinfo is too old and is only showing the compatibility profile. Newer glxinfo shows core profile as well.

Comment

That's what I thaugth too. Seems to me that GL4.4 with be in Mesa sometime next year. However there's still the Nouveau/Radeon parts that need to be done. I'd gladdly help with Nouveau but I somewhat don't know where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                    Your glxinfo is too old and is only showing the compatibility profile. Newer glxinfo shows core profile as well.
                    interesting suggestion but this would not explain why the unigine demos all claim the very same OpenGL version and tell me missing geometric shaders:
                    Code:
                    Renderer: INTEL Unknown 256MB
                    OpenGL vendor:   Intel Open Source Technology Center
                    OpenGL renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Desktop 
                    OpenGL version:  3.0 Mesa 10.0.0-devel (git-3785fe2 saucy-oibaf-ppa)
                    Found required GL_ARB_map_buffer_range
                    Found required GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
                    Found required GL_ARB_draw_instanced
                    Found required GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex
                    Found required GL_ARB_transform_feedback
                    Found required GL_ARB_half_float_vertex
                    Found required GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
                    Found required GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
                    Found required GL_ARB_texture_multisample
                    Found required GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object

Unigine fatal error
                    GLRender::require_extension(): required extension GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 is not supported
                    Shutdown
                    AL lib: ReleaseALC: 1 device not closed

Comment

Working...
                    X