Thread: OpenACC Over OpenMP Proposed For GCC Compiler

Default OpenACC Over OpenMP Proposed For GCC Compiler

Phoronix: OpenACC Over OpenMP Proposed For GCC Compiler

As some more interesting GCC compiler news this week besides the integration of Intel Cilk Plus support and C11 _Atomic support being ready is a new competing implementation of the OpenACC parallel programming standard for the GNU Compiler Collection...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwNjQ

Why not C++ Amp, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLovesYou View Post
    Why not C++ Amp, I wonder?
    Because it isn't an open standard.

^ It is implemented over DirectX11.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Because it isn't an open standard.
    C++ AMP open specification.

And if you don't consider that "open," you should admit that "OpenCL" isn't open either given that it's produced by a closed industry consortium with zero community involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    ^ It is implemented over DirectX11.
    No, no it isn't. A single _implementation_ uses DX11 but the spec does not mandate this in any way just like OpenACC (and AMP) can be implemented via OpenCL but does not at all require it or even suggest it. Hence why there has already been an implementation of AMP via OpenCL for Clang.

I get it, everyone hates Microsoft... but really, Googling for 5 seconds to fact check is not hard, people.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    C++ AMP open specification.

And if you don't consider that "open," you should admit that "OpenCL" isn't open either given that it's produced by a closed industry consortium with zero community involvement.

No, no it isn't. A single _implementation_ uses DX11 but the spec does not mandate this in any way just like OpenACC (and AMP) can be implemented via OpenCL but does not at all require it or even suggest it. Hence why there has already been an implementation of AMP via OpenCL for Clang.

I get it, everyone hates Microsoft... but really, Googling for 5 seconds to fact check is not hard, people.
    Thanks for the heads up! If it's possible to be implemented over OpenCL I'm all for it, it's a lot more easier to get involved with than OpenCL directly