Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shows Off Steam Machines Prototype

Phoronix: Valve Shows Off Steam Machines Prototype

Valve has begun showing off their Steam Machines Linux-based gaming console prototypes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The best thing is that SteamOS will not be based on Ubuntu.

"As promised, the OS is built on Linux (not based on Ubuntu, we're told, but entirely custom), though you'd never know it as the only interactive layer is all Steam."

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/v...=rss_truncated

Comment

Looking good

The timing is peculiar. While we'll get good news in January, I'm kind of expecting their bigger partners to not make any rollouts until Q3.

My reasoning is, if I were a partner I wouldn't want to lock-in on a hardware spec now... just behind the new MS/Sony consoles... and compete for scraps in a post-Xmas wasteland. I think we'll hear a lot of plans, then a big launch later, when the hardware specs can be set to be somewhat better or produced cheaper than the established players.

Of course, partners could update their specs by releasing multiple models during the first year, at some risk of customer confusion.

Whatever happens, it's going to be an interesting year.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
        The timing is peculiar. While we'll get good news in January, I'm kind of expecting their bigger partners to not make any rollouts until Q3.

My reasoning is, if I were a partner I wouldn't want to lock-in on a hardware spec now... just behind the new MS/Sony consoles... and compete for scraps in a post-Xmas wasteland. I think we'll hear a lot of plans, then a big launch later, when the hardware specs can be set to be somewhat better or produced cheaper than the established players.

Of course, partners could update their specs by releasing multiple models during the first year, at some risk of customer confusion.

Whatever happens, it's going to be an interesting year.
        Year of the Linux gaming PC disguised as a console! So the year of the Linux desktop has to wait yet again.

Comment

However, we are not planning support for spreadsheets
          So it is not a fully-fledged operating system where I can install everything.
          However I should still be able to install e.g. Fedora as a second operating system, right? I just hope that it will be possible to achieve the same gaming experience on a regular Linux distribution and that there aren't any important features that are exclusively available for the steam OS.

Comment

They also said that not only will they show retail Steam Machines at CES 2014 in early January, but also partners will announce their Linux game ports at the event, so that's why it has been quite on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I couldn't care less about which Distro it's based on. It's far more important that it works (and that it uses Linux by default)

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
              However I should still be able to install e.g. Fedora as a second operating system, right? I just hope that it will be possible to achieve the same gaming experience on a regular Linux distribution and that there aren't any important features that are exclusively available for the steam OS.
              Uhmm why not just get a regular PC instead? The Steambox is just a PC with an OS optimized for TVs and game controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

"As promised, the OS is built on Linux (not based on Ubuntu, we're told, but entirely custom), though you'd never know it as the only interactive layer is all Steam."

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/v...=rss_truncated

Ubuntu it is the only distro supported and probably will be the "developer kit" for Steam Machine games. So don't expect a distro very different of Ubuntu.

Comment

Uhmm why not just get a regular PC instead? A Steambox is nothing more than a regular PC with an OS optimized for TVs an controller input.

Comment

If we can get a terminal, root, a text editor and a way to fetch file you can pretty much install anything, this is Linux remember. Worse case scenario, you have to mount the SteamOS partition in an other linux distro to put in some userland functionality that will let you hack away directly in SteamOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X