Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAM 16GB 1x16 DDR3 Intel Z77 Chipset support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM 16GB 1x16 DDR3 Intel Z77 Chipset support?

I'm wanting to build a tiny workstation for work. It must be mini-itx and support 32GB RAM. All mini-itx Z77 boards only have 2x 240 DIMM slots.

If I were to buy 2x 16GB DIMMs ala : http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...16G3ERSLQ81067

... would the Z77 be able to address them? I don't see official support but I'm guessing that might be because 32GB in a minit ITX would not be a normal requirement?

Thanks!

As far as I know, all 16 GB DIMMs are registered. Desktop CPUs, and probably even the Xeon variants (at least the LGA115x CPUs), don't support registered memory. So no, it probably wouldn't be possible. And I think all the motherboards will claim to support only 16 GB of memory.

Comment

Originally posted by PreferLinux View Post
      As far as I know, all 16 GB DIMMs are registered. Desktop CPUs, and probably even the Xeon variants (at least the LGA115x CPUs), don't support registered memory. So no, it probably wouldn't be possible. And I think all the motherboards will claim to support only 16 GB of memory.
      You are entirely correct. I totally missed the registered part of the memory I selected! Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
      X