Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Open-Sources Broadwell GPU Driver; Graphics Look Amazing

Phoronix: Intel Open-Sources Broadwell GPU Driver; Graphics Look Amazing

While Intel's Broadwell processors won't be launching until 2014 as the successor to Haswell, this weekend the initial open-source Linux GPU kernel driver was published ahead of the Linux 3.13 kernel merge window. The changes are massive and it's looking like the Broadwell graphics improvements will be astonishing and provide significant improvements over Haswell and earlier generations of Intel graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you Intel

Intel is showing everyone else in the industry (including the ARM graphics developers) the right way to do graphics in an open source ecosystem like Linux. You build a team and you build the technology up in the open with real support. I know that Intel's IGPs aren't as fast as a 200 watt discrete GPU, but they have gotten massively better in a pretty short amount of time, and in the mobile space... where Intel really pushes its IGPs, Broadwell is going to be an extremely impressive solution for graphics in a reasonable power budget. When I don't need high-end GPU horsepower I'm already in the Intel camp, and Broadwell will be a nice step up!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Intel is showing everyone else in the industry (including the ARM graphics developers) the right way to do graphics in an open source ecosystem like Linux. You build a team and you build the technology up in the open with real support. I know that Intel's IGPs aren't as fast as a 200 watt discrete GPU, but they have gotten massively better in a pretty short amount of time, and in the mobile space... where Intel really pushes its IGPs, Broadwell is going to be an extremely impressive solution for graphics in a reasonable power budget. When I don't need high-end GPU horsepower I'm already in the Intel camp, and Broadwell will be a nice step up!
      If you want to compare progress based on a time frame, AMD is doing far better. The performance/feature gap for intel's open source drivers is incredibly small. But, when you consider the following about intel:
      * They have been supporting linux for at least 10 years
      * They have a relatively large team (far bigger than any other open source GPU team)
      * A team that probably has the best paid employees
      * Their GPUs are of the simplest OpenGL compatible that are x86-oriented
      * Exposure to detailed documentation well in advance
      I'd say their development rate isn't nearly as impressive as AMD's. On the other hand, Intel does develop a lot more than just drivers - they are contributors to things like Mesa and Wayland, which is also highly appreciated.

Comment

Benchmarks?

Kudos to Intel! Ballpark, did they give an indication of where the performance of Broadwell will be? is it 50% faster than Haswell? Factor 2?

Comment

For what it's worth, Mesa support for Broadwell actually went out on Friday:
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
            For what it's worth, Mesa support for Broadwell actually went out on Friday:
            http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/?h=broadwell
            Whoops! Somehow didn't see that. Thanks, updated.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Intel have Beignet

Everybody else (what about ARM folks?) Clover.

How Intel plan to support Intel GPU + discrete GPU OpenCL scenarios?
              Special interop extensions to both? Common front end? (Common binary code translator?)

My 5730M isn't done. But 1y is a long time
              (And combo of desktop PC + light notebook seam more and more impresive)

Comment

Michael, you're such a tease, implying you were holding a broadwell sample there.

Anyone else notice that the phoronix bot is banned?

Comment

meh...

What I would like to see for the next generation is a price drop... a significant price drop.

Do away with the celeron/pentium lines and make i3 truly a budget cpu.

Problem with intel is they have no competition in the laptop/desktop arena and believe they can dictate prices as they see fit, ergo you take a stroll in media markt or fnac and the tablet aisle is getting bigger and bigger and the laptop aisle smaller...

not only that am I the only one noticing that the haswell laptops are few and count for no more than 15% of laptops in stock... you even see sandy bridge laptops on sale like OEM's are trying to get rid of old stock and bail

Comment

Working...
                  X