Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce's Xfdesktop Graduates To Version 4.11.1

Phoronix: Xfce's Xfdesktop Graduates To Version 4.11.1

Xfce's Xfdesktop component that serves as the desktop manager for the lightweight GTK-based desktop environment has seen a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what happened with XFCE 4.12 release.

Comment

I hope xfce gets ported to gtk3 and to wayland, and, I hope they ditch what will then become a pretty much useless name (at that point the only relevant letter would be E). XFCE is a nice project and probably the most perfectly balanced in terms of user friendliness, customization, features, resource consumption, appearance, and stability. But, it won't be long until it's either left in the dust or holding back distros.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
        I wonder what happened with XFCE 4.12 release.
        This

might help.
        (Thank phoronix's bad reporting and self-linking fetish..)

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          This

might help.
          (Thank phoronix's bad reporting and self-linking fetish..)
          LOL... its getting better though. Sometimes there is an external link between al the selflinks

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
            LOL... its getting better though. Sometimes there is an external link between al the selflinks
            Just use this little script: userstyles.org/styles/55221/phoronix-mark-self-reference-urls-in-text

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I hope xfce gets ported to gtk3 and to wayland, and, I hope they ditch what will then become a pretty much useless name (at that point the only relevant letter would be E). XFCE is a nice project and probably the most perfectly balanced in terms of user friendliness, customization, features, resource consumption, appearance, and stability. But, it won't be long until it's either left in the dust or holding back distros.
              AFAIK, there are no plans to port it to Wayland or Mir...and AFAIC, that's fine with me....IMHO, X won't disappear from Linux distros in the next 10 years (at least)...they will continue to support it at least as a install option.

The only reason i could want to go to Wayland or Mir was if full screen games were faster using them and AFAIK, games in full screen bypass X/Wayland/Mir so it's a moot point...correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                The only reason i could want to go to Wayland or Mir was if full screen games were faster using them and AFAIK, games in full screen bypass X/Wayland/Mir so it's a moot point...correct me if i'm wrong.
                The only reason I want to se XFCE to Mir and/or Wayland, is because of tearing. XFCE suffers from tearing more than any other DE.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  The only reason I want to see XFCE to Mir and/or Wayland, is because of tearing. XFCE suffers from tearing more than any other DE.

That fixes all tearing on XFCE using Intel graphics, with almost no side-effects. On more advanced DE's, it causes a visible "stutter" when moving windows, but is possibly worth it.

IDK about other video cards *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ear-free_video

That fixes all tearing on XFCE using Intel graphics, with almost no side-effects. On more advanced DE's, it causes a visible "stutter" when moving windows, but is possibly worth it.

IDK about other video cards *shrug*

this solved tearing for me on archlinux https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xfwm4-vsync/ with nvidia gpu

Comment

Working...
                    X