Linux 3.13 To Enable Radeon DPM, HDMI Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    Well good, I've been using DPM on my 7850 since kernel 3.11 came out and I had zero issues, seems to me it's ready to be default.

About HDMI audio: does it work on radeonsi as well? Because even if I boot with radeon.audio=1 I get no sound, the device doesn't even appear in pulseaudio...
    I've zero issues too with both DPM and HDMI Audio with my Sapphire 7850. Works for me with Kernel 3.12rc7. Kernel parameter: "radeon.dpm=1 radeon.audio=1"
    I'm using pavucontrol (PulseAudioVolumeControl) to easily swith my playback streams between my different output systems. Maybe it helps you.

Comment

Never mind, the problem was that I was still on kernel 3.11, on 3.12 audio works without problems!

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Never mind, the problem was that I was still on kernel 3.11, on 3.12 audio works without problems!
        I just upgraded from kernel 3.7.9+fglrx to 3.12 final+oss drivers on my E-350 system. OpenSUSE 13.1 RC2. Sound is gone completely, however dmesg and kmix say that sound is played / activated:

Code:
        dmesg | grep audio
        [ 0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-desktop root=UUID=172ac2d8-b994-4611-b523-1ad921303bfa resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-M4-CT128M4SSD2_000000001130031527B5-part1 splash=silent quiet showopts radeon.dpm=1 radeon.audio=1
        [ 0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-3-desktop root=UUID=172ac2d8-b994-4611-b523-1ad921303bfa resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-M4-CT128M4SSD2_000000001130031527B5-part1 splash=silent quiet showopts radeon.dpm=1 radeon.audio=1
        [ 4.694352] [drm] Enabling audio 0 support
        hiere info from alsainfo:

strange thing is that kmix shows that something is played when I hit the testsound-buttons, but it can?t be heard. Same with xbmc where pulse-audio is disabled and alsa used directly. I already tried kernel 3.11.6 and purging pulse-audio - nothing helps! Sound is gone completely!

On my other system (HD 7950) sound works over spdif with the same package versions. Can?t test HDMI there. Strange there is, that ONLY source-games have no sound, while on my E-350 system - as said - sound is completely gone.

Comment

(install, if you haven't already, and then) open up PulseAudio Volume Control, click the playback tab, and then select the correct output for the stream (ie. click the box on the right hand side with the name of the output and then select the desired one from the drop down list)

Veromix offers similar functionality, but its a bit buggy and switching outputs sometimes fails (something gets messed up in the audio labyrinth that is Phonon alsa pulse ....) .... unfortunately, it also lacks a couple of features (in particular, a OSD meter like Kmix)

Comment

pavucontrol

after purging pulse, then reinstalling it and opening pavucontrol the master volume was muted, while this is NOT shown in kmix, there is no master slider like in pavucontrol. So maybe a kmix feature missing. Now I have sound, but not in flash/firefox.... rest however works...
            thx for the hint!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              That seems to be incorrect, or at least incomplete.

DPM is enabled by default for most chips now, in particluar:

It is still disabled by default on:

So I think that's the old 2xxx cards, 3xxx, the old MB integrated parts from back then, the 69xx, and some of the newer SI parts.
              I can't figure out if this means it's enabled for a 7660D (A10-5800K Trinity) APU or not.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                I can't figure out if this means it's enabled for a 7660D (A10-5800K Trinity) APU or not.
                dpm is enabled by default on Trinity/Richland in 3.13.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  dpm is enabled by default on Trinity/Richland in 3.13.
                  Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X