No announcement yet.

KDE Developers Continue To Be Frustrated With Canonical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The KDE dudes should really focus on writing code rather than attempting politics, especially Seigo and Graesslin.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      22 year have gone by and still items what should be simple to standardize, like filesystem hierarchy or even packaging (for example the recent attempt to reinvent yum when there is a perfectly good solution available now with libzypp/zypper), elude the linux ecosystem.
      Yeah that's just bizarre. Having used zypper for some time now it is easily the best solver/package manager there is atm. I always feel like I'm downgrading when I go back to apt-based systems.

I don't think the linux ecosystem will ever change, as long as someone thinks they can do something better we will have alternatives cropping up.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
        just to show what agenda there is: https://plus.google.com/115606635748...ts/WGv9BEL9gMS

4 days ago while he claimes to: ..." used this week to reflect what happened 14 days ago and also the last half year in general and what I can do about it to not be affected like that."

ragequit of a dramaqueen playing the innocent lamb while provoking.
        Yeah that is an odd post. I still don't get the rage over Unity search searching the Internet. Nobody complains that Android search searches the internet, but the moment Unity does the same, they are worse than the NSA monitoring every phone call you ever make?! Oddly, the people most outraged by this are the ones who have already said they would never use Unity...

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          The KDE dudes should really focus on writing code rather than attempting politics, especially Seigo and Graesslin.
          Easy to say, but the problem is that the two are hard to separate. Martin's involvement in this began when he was asked to merge Mir-specific patches to KWin. He argues that he rejected them because for technical reasons - namely, that he's not willing to take patches that aren't useful to anyone but a single distro. Whereas Canonical argue that that's a political action targeted at them, presumably implying that he *would* accept such patches from someone else. So how's he supposed to stay out of politics now, when decisions based on "writing code" result in political fallout?

Comment

I'm starting to get pretty tiered about these flame wars so I'll just say -
            Have fun everybody! If you write the same thing some more times the
            world will probably end up being a better place.

Or not... whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
              Martin Gr??lin:

This drama queen can't get his head out of his ass long enough to realize that statistically insignifigant results are still results. Any sane person would see that there is an issue with the results and not result to deriding the Phoronix work. So, of course he wants more drama by picking a fight with Mark S.
              Statistically insignificant results are worse than useless. Having said that, the Phoronix results aren't generally statistically insignificant, and unlike many benchmarking sites, Phoronix plots the standard error and makes test data available so you can do your own statistical analysis if you really want.

In the post you point to, he cherry picks a single result from a single benchmark to prove that the desktop has no effect on frame rate, therefore concluding that the "complete test set is useless", and then creates a straw man that "people will now use this benchmark set to claim that KDE Plasma is slower". I don't even understand how he can begin to draw so many conclusions from a single data point, particularly when it is obvious to anyone who looks that there are other results that show variance between desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                Easy to say, but the problem is that the two are hard to separate. Martin's involvement in this began when he was asked to merge Mir-specific patches to KWin. He argues that he rejected them because for technical reasons - namely, that he's not willing to take patches that aren't useful to anyone but a single distro.
                He may regret using that reason for rejection, as it will be invalid the moment Mir gets packaged for Debian: "Obviously we will be working closely with Debian to help get Mir in the Debian archives too." - Jono Bacon

Comment

Is there somewhere a good reference/comparison to see what are the pros and cons of wayland and mir?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Is there somewhere a good reference/comparison to see what are the pros and cons of wayland and mir?
                    No.
                    Most of the things aren't pro/cons but just differences. Whatever is the best or correct way can be debated in eternity.

For me (as I like Unity) the biggest pro with Mir over Wayland is that it will run Unity, for someone that prefer Gnome
                    their biggest pro with Wayland over Mir is that it will run Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                      He may regret using that reason for rejection, as it will be invalid the moment Mir gets packaged for Debian:
                      Why would he regret it? He's said all along that he'd reconsider the patches if Mir became more widely used in other distros.

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                      "Obviously we will be working closely with Debian to help get Mir in the Debian archives too." - Jono Bacon
                      Having Mir "in the archives" is some way short of actually being used. While it's not my decision to make, I'd say that to be considered, at least one other big-name distro should be using it as their default desktop platform, or be in the process of making it their default.

Comment

Working...
                      X