Valve Publishes October Steam Hardware Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Can you not do Folding on Linux or is the performance poor?
    I was thinking of the same thing. Heck, F@H is available on FreeBSD too through linuxulation.

Comment

counting is hard

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Linux is at 1.78% not much has changed since the past year. I remeber it was a bit closer to 2% at one point.
      Do the figures count those who are running Steam with Wine or the PlayOnLinux and Crossover front-ends for it? Even with the native client, most of my game time is still spent via Crossover, mostly for Civ V; how many others do this rather than dual boot? For that matter, there are some games that run fine in an XP virtual machine.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
        Gaming won't bring popularity and/or bigger usage share to Linux. Gaming is not the problem.

The problem is, if I ask now, here, which OS I should use instead of Windows 7 the following will happen:

D: - No Mint is not supported well. Choose Ubuntu!
        E: - Ubuntu? Canonical is the devil and spying on you.

Personally when I was trying to search the web for the best Linux alternative to Windows, I was bumping on articles that proposed distros based on politics (avoid Ubuntu no matter what) and I was lucky to try Ubuntu before I quit. I didn't know who is Shuttleworth, nor Torvalds, nor GNU, nor Red Hat but everyone is proposing to the masses what he prefers. No "A" proposal to make people enter to this world.

If you enter Linux you will never go back. But community is SO sort-sighted.
        Not as much as politics as it about ubuntu using : "Home-made technology" and "experimental" libraries/softwares.

Remember, gamers want stability and performance, Not to be tested on.
        The problem is, they also want things to be "Easy-to-use" which sometimes conflicts with : "stability and performance"
        (The previous statements were written in the name of all the gamers in the world.)
        Last edited by Illasera; 02 November 2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Valve just got a hundred of euros in the last month from me, it was years since last time I bought a game so eagerly: it's so awesome being able to play your favorite games without having to dual boot.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Can you not do Folding on Linux or is the performance poor?
            Sorry johnc I should have been more specific folding on the gpu.. Currently only Nvidia is supported natively. AMD's Linux Catalyst driver isn't good enough. The open driver isn't ready either.

I refuse to buy Nvidia they need to show me much more than releasing a few docs. I read here that they released Vendor-Neutral GL Dispatch Library Thats a good start.

How many dev's do they have hired working full time on X, Mesa,OpenGL,Gallium3D,Nouveau ? Less than Intel but more than AMD surely Where's their presence here Nvidia's counterpart to AMD's Bridgman ?
            Until shown otherwise I'll assume the only reasons for their recent apparent turn-around is the loss of the contract with China to AMD and their partnership with Valve and Steambox.

In my eyes AMD has done more for Linux and listened to the community helping develop an open driver, so I'll wait through the growing pains and continue to reward them with my hard earned dollars as my way of showing my appreciation.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

+1 Steamtendo GabeCubes

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
              GabeCubes.
              Hahaha yes!

Planetary Annihilation in Beta on Steam on Ubuntu 13.04 64bit on an Nvidia 660GTX FTW! (Hosting/starting the game and playing against windoze user mates works good!)

Also, for the hope of CS:GO ...

Comment

Working...
              X