Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valve Publishes October Steam Hardware Survey

Hybrid View

Default Valve Publishes October Steam Hardware Survey

Phoronix: Valve Publishes October Steam Hardware Survey

Valve has released their latest hardware/software survey statistics for the following month. Is Linux back above a 1% market-share for gamers?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMDc

I would not worry, firstly most top rated games still are windows only, people installed steam under linux and went back to their windows to play the games that don't run under Linux. Personally I have my uber machine and another that has a 10-5800k and a AMD HD6770, and I can play the Linux games on it, but still prefer my main machine. Most people still don't like dual booting, I know I don't.

Gaming won't bring popularity and/or bigger usage share to Linux. Gaming is not the problem.

The problem is, if I ask now, here, which OS I should use instead of Windows 7 the following will happen:

A: - Choose Fedora!!!
    B: - No Fedora is too buggy! Choose Arch!
    C: - No Arch is too hard for a beginner! Choose Mint!
    D: - No Mint is not supported well. Choose Ubuntu!
    E: - Ubuntu? Canonical is the devil and spying on you.

So I/He/She will end up to return to Windows. So simple.

Personally when I was trying to search the web for the best Linux alternative to Windows, I was bumping on articles that proposed distros based on politics (avoid Ubuntu no matter what) and I was lucky to try Ubuntu before I quit. I didn't know who is Shuttleworth, nor Torvalds, nor GNU, nor Red Hat but everyone is proposing to the masses what he prefers. No "A" proposal to make people enter to this world.

If you enter Linux you will never go back. But community is SO sort-sighted.
    Last edited by verde; 11-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Gaming won't bring popularity and/or bigger usage share to Linux. Gaming is not the problem.

The problem is, if I ask now, here, which OS I should use instead of Windows 7 the following will happen:

Personally when I was trying to search the web for the best Linux alternative to Windows, I was bumping on articles that proposed distros based on politics (avoid Ubuntu no matter what) and I was lucky to try Ubuntu before I quit. I didn't know who is Shuttleworth, nor Torvalds, nor GNU, nor Red Hat.

Yeah, absolutely. Thank goodness when I switched to GNU/Linux 5.5 years ago there wasn't all this stupid hate towards Ubuntu, so no biased articles stopped me from getting it right the first time. I only tried other distros afterwards, and I always got back to Ubuntu. It's got its flaws, but for me it's the best distro around. I'm hoping for SteamOS to be good too and for the Steam client to continue being great on Ubuntu and the other distros.

Quote Originally Posted by nll_a View Post
    Yeah, absolutely. Thank goodness when I switched to GNU/Linux 5.5 years ago there wasn't all this stupid hate towards Ubuntu, so no biased articles stopped me from getting it right the first time. I only tried other distros afterwards, and I always got back to Ubuntu. It's got its flaws, but for me it's the best distro around. I'm hoping for SteamOS to be good too and for the Steam client to continue being great on Ubuntu and the other distros.
    I'm glad you're happy, but this is the exact same kind of comment most linux newbies have with whatever their first linux distro is. 10 years ago, someone would try out Mandriva as their first distro, figure out they liked linux, and then go shopping around other distros just to find out that they liked Mandriva best. It's because that's how you learned linux, and you got used to the "correct" way of doing things.

Edit: Newbie is probably the wrong word - what i mean is someone content with their system, who doesn't want to constantly tinker with it just for the hell of it. General user, i guess, rather than a tinkerer like many people on phoronix or other enthusiast sites.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I'm glad you're happy, but this is the exact same kind of comment most linux newbies have with whatever their first linux distro is. 10 years ago, someone would try out Mandriva as their first distro, figure out they liked linux, and then go shopping around other distros just to find out that they liked Mandriva best. It's because that's how you learned linux, and you got used to the "correct" way of doing things.
    It may be somewhat true, but Ubuntu kept going in the right direction for me. When I first installed Ubuntu (2008) it probably wasn't much more than a tweaked Debian+Gnome desktop. I remember the next year I got a new computer, installed 9.10 and found everything was great, so much that no changes or features would compell me to upgrade to another release, not even the LTS, but when Unity came out with 11.04 I became so excited because I thought that interface was almost exactly what I wanted. It would allow me to finally ditch Gnome 2, which I found hideous. I was very impressed with where they were going. I was always a keyboard-driven user, so Unity was close to how I already used and customized my computer. That interface made me put up with the bugs present back then. The same thing is happening for me with Ubuntu Touch, and I can't wait 'till I ditch my Android.

So even if I had started out in another distro, like Mandriva, and identified with it, and had a good initial experience, and didn't go back to Windows - which I honestly doubt -, I would have changed to Ubuntu later. What some Linux people call its weakness (its unwillingness to follow the herd) I call it its strength.

My point is hatred towards Ubuntu doesn`t help Linux, it does the complete opposite. And diversity is not the problem with Linux, it's the politicking, the conservatism, the distro wars. I'm hoping this time it's different and Valve gets the respect they deserve, but I'm not holding my breath, as no doubt people will invent plenty of shit to crap on SteamOS when it comes out.
    Last edited by nll_a; 11-02-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post

Personally when I was trying to search the web for the best Linux alternative to Windows, I was bumping on articles that proposed distros based on politics (avoid Ubuntu no matter what) and I was lucky to try Ubuntu before I quit. I didn't know who is Shuttleworth, nor Torvalds, nor GNU, nor Red Hat but everyone is proposing to the masses what he prefers. No "A" proposal to make people enter to this world.

If you enter Linux you will never go back. But community is SO sort-sighted.
    That is why it will be steamOS as being the most popular in the long run. It will be the gamers OS, those other choices will not even be considered when it comes to the steam machine. SteamOS in the long run will have way more users then all the distros combined. You will see HP steam machine, Dell steam machine, Lenovo steam machine and probably many others.

Linux is at 1.78% not much has changed since the past year. I remeber it was a bit closer to 2% at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Linux is at 1.78% not much has changed since the past year. I remeber it was a bit closer to 2% at one point.
    Thats in part because the Team Fortress 2 Tux object than was avaiable to obtain if steam was installed using linux, so, probably a lot of wubi installations and virtual machines existed in that time. Just a possibility. Or maybe they try ubuntu and they did not like it.

Default counting is hard

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Do the figures count those who are running Steam with Wine or the PlayOnLinux and Crossover front-ends for it? Even with the native client, most of my game time is still spent via Crossover, mostly for Civ V; how many others do this rather than dual boot? For that matter, there are some games that run fine in an XP virtual machine.