AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Is Improving, But Catalyst Is Much Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Is there any HyperZ support at all yet for RadeonSI, I thought they hadn't completed it yet?

There's also no support for the SB backend yet which will account for some of the performance difference, especially with shader-heavy games.
    There will be no SB on GCN. It is completly different architecture, will be optimized by LLVM optimizers only, and as AMD put it in the beginning, it should be ways more easier to optimize since it is not VLIW.

Comment

hm

this drivers don t work for gamers yet

Comment

Need test with latest LLVM code, from SVN.

Comment

The conclusion to draw is SI devs like Marek only play Xonotic :P

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            It's the best one from the tested FPS after all :P

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Seriously though, Xonotic is a game of moderate complexity (more complex than basically everything else in this article) and RadeonSI is close to parity there.

The rest of the games are all playable, and many are close to 50% of Catalyst (Doom3, Prey, OpenArena...)

These are really promising results. I can imagine that a few small patches will work wonders for performance, as soon as the bottlenecks are discovered.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                Is there any HyperZ support at all yet for RadeonSI, I thought they hadn't completed it yet?
                Not yet, although it hasn't really changed much from evergreen/cayman so the code could be ported over from r600g without too much work.

Comment

Okay, I did compile Mesa from git and Kernel 3.12rc6 (dpm enabled, intel thermald), xf86-video-ati 7.2.0. Additonal xorg.conf parameter: ColorTiling, ColorTiling2D andEnablePageFlip: on
                  Well, Dota 2 runs at 1080p with nearly maxed settings - only anti-aliasing, specular bloom and ambient occlusion disabled - with about 15 fps on average (can be seen after entering cl_showfps 1 into the console) when there's some action on the screen (multiple heroes, creeps, etc.).
                  I would say it's not bad, I'm positively suprised, but still it's not enough.
                  When the framerate at least doubles I'm in, for now I will just wait a little bit longer for the missing pieces
                  Last edited by dietrdan; 01 November 2013, 03:49 PM. Reason: add xorg.conf parameter

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    this drivers don t work for gamers yet
                    -I have more fps in EVE-Online with radeonsi and only one 7970 than with fglrx with a crossfire of two 7970
                    -I don't see the difference on Portal 2 with fglrx or radeonsi (everything max except no AA and 4x aniso)
                    -Postal 1 totally playable
                    -X3TC totally playable (i disabled AA and aniso)
                    *Tear free video
                    *Only 2% CPU usage when playing HD H264 content, UVD work except for VC1 and wmv3
                    *Desktop more smooth except some artefact in KDE4 window decoration but I can live with.

-but-
                    *Morrowind crash after loading with and without MGE dlls hooks, with LLVM complaining about insuffisent register or something.

So officially, I removed fglrx for my *gaming* operation with a minimum of three EVE client loaded in the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                      Benchmarks with llvm 3.4 would have been nice.
                      And time is not an excuse, since the R600 backend has long been enabled in LLVM's daily snapshots for Debian/Ubuntu-I used that for building Mesa before 3.3 was released.

Comment

Working...
                      X