Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.69 Gets A Halloween Release

Phoronix: Blender 2.69 Gets A Halloween Release

Blender 2.69 is now out as the latest release of the open-source 3D modelling software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great program, probably one of the best open source projects nowadays. And it keeps getting better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      Great program, probably one of the best open source projects nowadays. And it keeps getting better and better.
      And they still leave it to the users to document it.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        Yes, more documentation would be great, but since this is mainly a visual tool, there is nothing better than watching training videos, and there are plenty of them...

Comment

I don't know if the users did all the work, but Blender has a very good Wiki and is pretty much fully documented: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual

Whoever did it, did a very good job.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Name one better.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
              I don't know if the users did all the work, but Blender has a very good Wiki and is pretty much fully documented: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual
              Why are you willing to accept an out of date wiki as documentation? If Autodesk did that with Maya, Max, and Softimage they wouldn't be in business. What makes the Blender Foundation special?

Just because something is free is no reason to accept sub-standard documentation.

Comment

Why are you willing to accept an out of date wiki as documentation?
                a) The Wiki explains most features properly and even with out of date screenshots, I never had problems to follow the instructions.

b) Blender has limited resources like any other OSS project. I'd rather have them spend their resources on development instead of documentation.

If Autodesk did that with Maya, Max, and Softimage they wouldn't be in business. What makes the Blender Foundation special?

Just because something is free is no reason to accept sub-standard documentation.
                Oh yes it is. If you get something free of charge you can choose not to use it, but demanding features or proper documentation is ridiculous. If you don't like the package, you are free to spend some money on the commercial alternatives. On the other hand you could also help improve Blender's documentation and actually learn something in the process. There is no better way in learning a new tool than by writing documentation and explaining the features to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                  a) The Wiki explains most features properly and even with out of date screenshots, I never had problems to follow the instructions.

b) Blender has limited resources like any other OSS project. I'd rather have them spend their resources on development instead of documentation.
                  a) no it doesn't.

b) The Blender Foundation has money left over after paying the wages of several full time developers. The entire "They are poor volunteers" schtick is complete and utter bullshit.

Oh yes it is. If you get something free of charge you can choose not to use it, but demanding features or proper documentation is ridiculous. If you don't like the package, you are free to spend some money on the commercial alternatives. On the other hand you could also help improve Blender's documentation and actually learn something in the process. There is no better way in learning a new tool than by writing documentation and explaining the features to others.
                  Thank you for assuming that I am unfamiliar with blender and don't know how to use it, moron.

Comment

a) no it doesn't.
                    What is missing?

b) The Blender Foundation has money left over after paying the wages of several full time developers. The entire "They are poor volunteers" schtick is complete and utter bullshit.
                    So they have to spend it on documentation?

Thank you for assuming that I am unfamiliar with blender and don't know how to use it, moron.
                    Kiddo, you should do some anger management. Why not spend some time on documenting Blender? You might learn something and cool your head.

Comment

Working...
                    X