Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: AMD's Radeon Gallium3D Starts Posing A Threat To Catalyst

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    I really think it's just a case of optimizing how instructions are packed into the shader cores. In GPU terms the compute units are called shaders, so when you are running a game all the opengl stuff is compiled into units that can be executed on those shaders. I think at this point it really is just a case of making sure that the shaders are doing as much work as they can. It's just a matter of optimizing right now.
    The issue doesn't seem to show up in many of the more complicated shader tests - such as Furmark - while being huge in a simple glxgears like test (Triangle) and the less advanced Q3 engine tests. So I'm not sure it's really a matter of optimizing the actual shaders into the compute units, which i would think would tend to give the opposite results. Although who knows, maybe something simple is just spilling 1 extra instruction over the limits and doubling the compute units it takes from 1 to 2.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Looks like AMD users may finally get a decent driver on one platform at least

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    I think the last test (GpuTest v0.5.0) is the most interesting one from a technological point of view. It shows that the OSS driver still has WAYS to go to be on par with the catalyst driver on windows. And that is very promising because most game benchmarks are close to catalyst!
    It tests the exact same thing as glxgears: frame swap overhead. If you can swap several thousand frames per sec, you can calculate the overhead advantage Catalyst has. (hint: around a microsecond.)

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    69

    Default

    edit: already replied
    Last edited by sonnet; 10-31-2013 at 04:39 AM.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Thank you for your tests!

    No Framerate below 40/s - I think your title is fully warranted.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    100

    Default Great news

    Seems like Marek finished his school already? :-)

    Anyway, AMD got a new loyal customer: Me. Add few missing bits from Catalyst (OpenCL and whatnot) and we can happily forget that binary cancer called Catalyst ever existed.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirza View Post
    Add few missing bits from Catalyst (OpenCL and whatnot) and we can happily forget that binary cancer called Catalyst ever existed.
    I feel like that's AMD's end-game for Linux. They understand that this is the path to a healthier product on the open-source platform. Just look at Catalyst -- there are *so many* loose ends -- unfinished features, broken options, plenty of stuff that just flat out *doesn't work* -- and from what I can tell there's no desire to actually fix those things. As long as they keep the core binary module working properly, they'll have something to fall back on while they wait for the open source product to mature. RadeonSI has taken 2 years to mature to what it is today -- Sea Islands is already way ahead of the curve.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dffx View Post
    I feel like that's AMD's end-game for Linux. They understand that this is the path to a healthier product on the open-source platform. Just look at Catalyst -- there are *so many* loose ends -- unfinished features, broken options, plenty of stuff that just flat out *doesn't work* -- and from what I can tell there's no desire to actually fix those things. As long as they keep the core binary module working properly, they'll have something to fall back on while they wait for the open source product to mature. RadeonSI has taken 2 years to mature to what it is today -- Sea Islands is already way ahead of the curve.
    Show me where?!? All I read are complaints about the RadeonSI and the 'major' distros don't have it supported or installed via default.

    Also, the joke that AMD supports Linux is still going on?!? LOL! I agree with what you post here - "Just look at Catalyst -- there are *so many* loose ends -- unfinished features, broken options, plenty of stuff that just flat out *doesn't work* -- and from what I can tell there's no desire to actually fix those things." Does anyone here besides the ''AMD' employees' (FOSS ppl) disagree with that?!? No. So, that is the driver segment that actually gets full funding from AMD? But, it's constantly broken by design.

    I only buy used cards. I don't want to reward AMD OR Nvidia. I'm looking at buying a used AMD card to try since my Nvidia card is really ancient but I am anticipating being disappointed. I don't know what the big fuss is with gaming on Linux. UVD and 2D performance rarely is included in the benchmarks. Doesn't anyone use their computer to watch videos or stream video in Linux?!?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panix View Post
    Show me where?!? All I read are complaints about the RadeonSI and the 'major' distros don't have it supported or installed via default.
    They don't, not by default. I used the mesa-git repo in Arch Linux to keep up to date (easier than rebuilding the AUR packages daily): http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-git/

    This repo pretty much has everything that's needed for the stack: ati-dri, xf86-video-ati, llvm 3.4, etc etc.

    Overall radeonsi seems to work pretty well. Reading phoronix might engender a sense of doom 'n' gloom when it comes to radeonsi, but I think the latest snapshots paint a much better picture.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markg85 View Post
    I think the last test (GpuTest v0.5.0)
    0.6, actually
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20131028/gput...nux-downloads/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •