Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Radeon Gallium3D Starts Posing A Threat To Catalyst

Hybrid View

Default AMD's Radeon Gallium3D Starts Posing A Threat To Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD's Radeon Gallium3D Starts Posing A Threat To Catalyst

With recent milestones like the Radeon performance improvements in Linux 3.12 that come as a side-effect from a CPUfreq change, Radeon DPM, and the improvements found by the upcoming Mesa 10.0 release, and numerous other open-source driver improvements, the AMD's Radeon Gallium3D performance is very competitive to AMD's Catalyst driver. This close level of performance is for the R600 Gallium3D driver with GPUs like the Radeon HD 5000/6000 series graphics cards. Here's some benchmarks showing how the open-source AMD Radeon performance compares today to the closed-source Catalyst driver on Windows and Ubuntu Linux. In some of today's new data, the open-source driver was running 80%+ the speed of AMD's Catalyst driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19288

And now do the same with a HD7970 or a R9 290X using games like Serious Sam 3, DOTA 2 or Left 4 Dead 2.

I think everyone knows that the driver for the 4000 to 6000 series cards is wonderful and that there's no real reason to not use it over Catalyst. The situation for newer cards (and thus for gamers who bought their AMD card after 2011 and want to switch to Linux) is still dire if you don't use Catalyst (and Catalyst is dire itself).

I'm so happy that I was able to replace Catalyst with the open source driver on my laptop which runs the latest Mesa git snapshots and 3.12-rc7 right now, but it also has a Mobility Radeon HD5650 - I don't think I would've done that if I had an actual up-to-date GPU.

So yeah ... keep up the good work AMD, but please, start focusing on newer GPUs as well. I don't think recommending a 6870 for playing games on Linux sounds that nice, especially if everyone else already shouts "use NVIDIA on Linux only".

Quote Originally Posted by Weegee View Post
    And now do the same with a HD7970 or a R9 290X using games like Serious Sam 3, DOTA 2 or Left 4 Dead 2.

I think everyone knows that the driver for the 4000 to 6000 series cards is wonderful and that there's no real reason to not use it over Catalyst. The situation for newer cards (and thus for gamers who bought their AMD card after 2011 and want to switch to Linux) is still dire if you don't use Catalyst (and Catalyst is dire itself).

I'm so happy that I was able to replace Catalyst with the open source driver on my laptop which runs the latest Mesa git snapshots and 3.12-rc7 right now, but it also has a Mobility Radeon HD5650 - I don't think I would've done that if I had an actual up-to-date GPU.

So yeah ... keep up the good work AMD, but please, start focusing on newer GPUs as well. I don't think recommending a 6870 for playing games on Linux sounds that nice, especially if everyone else already shouts "use NVIDIA on Linux only".
    I definitely would like to see those games in the benchmarks.

Serious sam 3 on catalyst and opensource on Linux compared to catalyst on windows and openGl vs Direct X on windows.

The developers of Croteam stated that there is no reason in the game engine, why it should not run a tiny bit faster on linux, compared to direct X on windows.
    So it might be a good game to see, how good the drivers are at the moment.
    With this game, I experienced a big performance improvement, about half a year ago, with the catalsyt driver on Linux.

Left for dead 2 on Linux still isn't very smooth. (opnSUSE 12.3 HD5750 )
    And I still remember the faster zombies ( with nvidia though)
    http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/
    Last edited by Gps4l; 10-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.

I actually play Dota2 and L4D2 on my 7970M using the latest radeonsi git pulls with no problem. That's even with using PRIME offloading, since I have a MUX-less hybrid laptop.

There *is* room for improvement -- these certainly don't run as fast as they do on Windows, at least at the current stage of radeonsi development -- and I'd love to see performance improved upon further, but at this time everything is entirely playable at high settings.

Radeonsi/Mesa/Gallium3D works wonders with Wine, as well. I've been re-playing Arkham City (since they stripped out GFWL and released the GOTY edition) through Wine and it's worked pretty much flawlessly.

I'm incredibly happy with radeonsi/Mesa right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dffx View Post
    I actually play Dota2 and L4D2 on my 7970M using the latest radeonsi git pulls with no problem.
    Marek just posted patches for UBO support today. Seems like full GL 3.1 support probably isn't far off.

Really? No reason to use Catalyst and openCL-ID over the FOSS driver? Hardly.

Run those two drivers using ANSYS 14, COMSOL 4.6, etc. Then talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

I think everyone realizes that the OSS drivers OpenCL support is still immature. Most people are referring strictly to OpenGL support, since that's all most people ever use. And stability/other desktop uses, like UVD decoding, etc. of course.

That said, there have been a few recent changes that might show some improvements here - such as:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...fcb61fbe087af7 and http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/047264.html

Edit: does ANSYS even run on Catalyst? The blog post i saw mentioned something about only supporting Tesla cards, but maybe it's an old one.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 10-31-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

I think everyone realizes that the OSS drivers OpenCL support is still immature. Most people are referring strictly to OpenGL support, since that's all most people ever use.

That said, there have been a few recent changes that might show some improvements here - such as:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...fcb61fbe087af7 and http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/047264.html
    Really, between Catalyst and radeon there are a lot of give-and-takes. For me it's that switchable/hybrid graphics are *much* better supported in the OSS stack. Desktop users might find Catalyst to suit their needs more for the time being.

I wonder what's up with the HD 6950.

Pretty awesome results overall.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I wonder what's up with the HD 6950.

Pretty awesome results overall.
    It's a VLIW4 architecture, the rest of them are VLIW5.