GA-78LMT-USB3 - a reasonable choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-78LMT-USB3 - a reasonable choice?

I'm building a system for the first time since college (11-12 years ago) and after tons of reading on different options I'm leaning toward an FX-6300 for the CPU.

Space is a major limiting factor for me, and I bought a Rosewill Ranger-M, the biggest case I could find that fits in the space. The problem is it's micro-ATX only. The one that stands out is the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (ideally revision 5.0), and sticking a GTX-650 or some such in there.

I've read a zillion different sites on the question of FX-series chips and 760g based motherboards and there's a lot of conflicting reports. The chips are obviously "supported," but some people are insisting that in general the 760g boards "can't handle" the FX-series properly and performance suffers a ton. Other people insist they're using them with no problem. Some people are even claiming some surprisingly good overclocks with the boards, though I'm not really thinking overclock at this point.

Of course there are no 970 or 990 boards for the micro-ATX form factor, so the question boils down to whether I can actually use an FX-series CPU in a micro-ATX case, or if I need to look at a Richland or Haswell instead.

I had horrors with Gigabyte support, especially when Linux is even mentioned.
    Even after shipping them 8 videos of the problem, insisting its not OS-related, their Taiwanese crew only managed to release the half-arsed solution - in form of the beta!..
    Avoid.

Comment

In that case what about the ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, or some other micro-ATX board with similar specs? I only focused on the Gigabyte version because revision 5.0 doesn't need any BIOS updates to support the CPU, since I don't have anything else that fits in that socket to flash it with.

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      I had horrors with Gigabyte support, especially when Linux is even mentioned.
      Even after shipping them 8 videos of the problem, insisting its not OS-related, their Taiwanese crew only managed to release the half-arsed solution - in form of the beta!..
      Avoid.

Comment

Working...
      X