Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.12 Development Packages Start Coming

Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 Development Packages Start Coming

With the first GNOME 3.12 development release (v3.11.1) due to occur this week, many of the first very early GNOME 3.12 packages are being checked in for early testing ahead of the desktop's full debut in March of 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please developers, don't force us systemd!

I hope they remove systemd as a hard dependency... since there's no technological reason for it. This can be done until GNOME 3.12. However, I don't have anything against turning systemd support an extra feature instead of a necessary dependency.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
      I hope they remove systemd as a hard dependency... since there's no technological reason for it. This can be done until GNOME 3.12. However, I don't have anything against turning systemd support an extra feature instead of a necessary dependency.
      don't whine to gnome or KDE(they will eventually too), whine to your favorite init system devs to get in touch with the 21th century

Comment

If youre asking about Log Viewer.. its an extra application that displays The Journal if its available, so what? There's already tons of log viewers out there if you just keep all the logs as text files in /var/log

If you're asking about the logind thing... Its 2 D-Bus interfaces. Creating a tiny, non-logind based, daemon that supplies those 2 interfaces would be pathetically easy. Now we have a standardized thing: "To do these two things, we use THESE interfaces to do it." So any future project knows what it has to implement in order to get those 2 things don.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

There is no hard depedendency on systemd. We require ConsoleKit of logind (the API). If you mean Logs: it is for the journal/systemd indeed. An optional application with as only purpose to show the logs from the journal. Boohooh!! :P Anyway, we rely on the journal because it makes it easy to make an application such as Logs. I mean, making anything generic would practically mean forking the journal from systemd. Not very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X