Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Lands A Ton Of GPU OpenCL Functions

Phoronix: LibreOffice Lands A Ton Of GPU / OpenCL Support

More than fifty commits pushed into the core code-base today for the LibreOffice open-source office suite work on support for "GPU Calc" to take advantage of OpenCL for various math spreadsheet calculations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is someone planning to do bimolecular simulations using spreadsheets?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
      Is someone planning to do bimolecular simulations using spreadsheets?
      You forget two things:
      1. OpenCL also means CPU multi core. If someone had implemented OpenMP for Libreoffice, nobody would have been interested.
      2. GPU calculations are supposed to get increasingly cheaper as soon as HUMA is there. Thus it makes perfectly sense to use the GPU wherever you can.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        You forget two things:
        1. OpenCL also means CPU multi core. If someone had implemented OpenMP for Libreoffice, nobody would have been interested.
        2. GPU calculations are supposed to get increasingly cheaper as soon as HUMA is there. Thus it makes perfectly sense to use the GPU wherever you can.
        Are you? I meant, the last thing i would use to make intensive parallelized multicore/GPU calculations is a damn spread sheet, regardless of the backend implemented.

I rather focus those efforts to improve format compatibility, stability, java removal, UI usability, etc!.

Comment

I rather focus those efforts to improve format compatibility, stability, java removal, UI usability, etc!.
          Then please do. LibreOffice is an open source project and you can always
          get involved and chime in on format compatibility, stability, etc.

Don't forget - a bunch of these people are volunteers, you don't actually
          get a say in what they should code first, it's their free time

Furthermore, the ones that are payed/sponsored/supported will (gasp!)
          code what they payer/sponsor/supporter told them to. And AMD wanted
          some sweet OpenCL push.

Comment

Are you? I meant, the last thing i would use to make intensive parallelized multicore/GPU calculations is a damn spread sheet, regardless of the backend implemented.

As stated in the article, those improvements are done by AMD and MulticoreWare. I doubt that they'd contribute at all, if they had to implement the things you proposed before they where allowed to add this OpenCL stuff.

As I don't use Calc, I'd have been more happy, if they'd added those features to GNU awk, but well... maybe they can be ported.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
              Then please do. LibreOffice is an open source project and you can always
              get involved and chime in on format compatibility, stability, etc.

Don't forget - a bunch of these people are volunteers, you don't actually
              get a say in what they should code first, it's their free time

Furthermore, the ones that are payed/sponsored/supported will (gasp!)
              code what they payer/sponsor/supporter told them to. And AMD wanted
              some sweet OpenCL push.

You make it sound like an amateur project and some how i should lower my expectations because of that. I guess users input is not really important since this project is only intended for developers who work in this project. Yes i really appreciate the Personas skinning support for LibreOffice too, very important and useful

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                As stated in the article, those improvements are done by AMD and MulticoreWare. I doubt that they'd contribute at all, if they had to implement the things you proposed before they where allowed to add this OpenCL stuff.

As I don't use Calc, I'd have been more happy, if they'd added those features to GNU awk, but well... maybe they can be ported.
                Well, that sounds more like an exercise or test bed made by an intern for some planned crazy benchmark at AMD or whatever, who knows . I really think that openCL would be more useful for awk

Comment

You make it sound like an amateur project and some how i should lower my expectations because of that. I guess users input is not really important since this project is only intended for developers who work in this project. Yes i really appreciate the Personas skinning support for LibreOffice too, very important and useful
                  Ofcourse it's not an amateur project - it has a couple of millions LOC, ffs.
                  Also, I'm not saying you should lower your expectations, I'm saying you
                  shouldn't have any to begin with

You see, this software is free of charge. No one said it would be
                  fit for any particular purpose. You didn't pay a cent for it. Also,
                  you're not forced to use it, there are many others, both commercial
                  and free.

Your personal feelings towards level of usefulness of some of the free
                  contributions to a free project is really just wishful thinking. Therefore,
                  either roll up your sleeves and code it yourself or pay someone to do it.

NHF

Comment

Well, that sounds more like an exercise or test bed made by an intern for some planned crazy benchmark at AMD or whatever, who knows .
                    Actually, that is what I think, too. Proof of concept for AMD. Nevertheless, this code might come handy for some people.

I really think that openCL would be more useful for awk
                    Yet, at the moment it won't work very well for awk, as it would force an X11 dependency for awk. This will probably change, as soon as we get render nodes.

Comment

Working...
                    X