Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.0 Gets A Release Date, Branching Plan

Phoronix: Mesa 10.0 Gets A Release Date, Branching Plan

Mesa 10.0 has many new 3D graphics features and we've known for a while the plan was to put out this next Mesa release in November. Now we have a better idea for when the Mesa 10.0 branching will happen and official release happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Flaws?

Michael, please stop calling mesa "flawed". A flaw is a bug or bad design. Missing features are not "flaws", they are missing features. If you say "flaw" it sounds more like the mesa-devs produce shitty code, which is not the case.

And thoose features will eventually be implemented, and judging by the pace of mesa it will be not take that long. Just sit back and wait und stop picturing every software that is not done yet as if it was a bad implementation..

Comment

Originally posted by emerge-e-world View Post
      Michael, please stop calling mesa "flawed". A flaw is a bug or bad design. Missing features are not "flaws", they are missing features. If you say "flaw" it sounds more like the mesa-devs produce shitty code, which is not the case.

And thoose features will eventually be implemented, and judging by the pace of mesa it will be not take that long. Just sit back and wait und stop picturing every software that is not done yet as if it was a bad implementation..
      You're being too pedantic. Missing features are flaws. If you buy a product but it doesn't have all of the features functioning then it's a flawed product.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        You're being too pedantic. Missing features are flaws. If you buy a product but it doesn't have all of the features functioning then it's a flawed product.
        That makes pretty much every product ever produced flawed and thus renders the utterence of the term pointless.

Comment

"all the features" indeed.

What matters is what the product promised when you purchased it. My toothbrush is not "flawed" because it doesn't have an internal combustion engine. When I bought it, I didn't expect an internal combustion engine.

If you expect OpenGL 4.4 when you download Mesa, then the problem is with you, not the "product". They are very clear about what they support.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            "all the features" indeed.

What matters is what the product promised when you purchased it. My toothbrush is not "flawed" because it doesn't have an internal combustion engine. When I bought it, I didn't expect an internal combustion engine.

If you expect OpenGL 4.4 when you download Mesa, then the problem is with you, not the "product". They are very clear about what they support.
            You're being too pedantic with this comment as well. The last time I checked, a toothbrush does not have nor need an internal combustion engine. That is not a feature of a toothbrush. Please try using proper logic next time.

Comment

You're being too pedantic with this comment as well. The last time I checked, a toothbrush does not have nor need an internal combustion engine. That is not a feature of a toothbrush. Please try using proper logic next time.
              OK, you explain to me how a "product" which advertises OpenGL 3.3 and delivers OpenGL 3.3 is "flawed".

You would like it to do OpenGL 4.4. I would like my car to have 300 horsepower. But when I bought it, I knew very well that it didn't, just like I will know that I'm getting OpenGL 3.3 when I download Mesa 3.3

Comment

OK, you explain to me how a "product" which advertises OpenGL 3.3 and delivers OpenGL 3.3 is "flawed".

You would like it to do OpenGL 4.4. I would like my car to have 300 horsepower. But when I bought it, I knew very well that it didn't, just like I will know that I'm getting OpenGL 3.3 when I download Mesa 3.3
                If it wasn't flawed, then it wouldn't still be in development... It doesn't matter what you advertise, your product still has major flaws of not being perfect at what it's supposed to be doing. Furthermore, it still doesn't matter if you are lucky enough to have a graphics card which supports Mesa's OpenGL 3.3 compliance when it performs like crap.

Comment

EDIT: This whole discussion is pedantic, but I think that Michael shits on Mesa too much. It has a lot to catch up with, it has dealt with unhelpful manufacturers for most of its duration, is pitted against teams of hundreds of programmers with all sorts of inside knowledge, and are trying to create the ONLY free and open implementation of the OpenGL (and other) spec.

What they are doing is monumental and should be praised. It's one of the most difficult things to do, period. There are few things in the Linux ecosystem which are more difficult and more important than this. And they are giving you OpenGL 3.3 for free, with the source code. More than half of GL 4.0 is finished, a lot of it started. It will come in due time, and it will be awesome.

Comment

If it wasn't flawed, then it wouldn't still be in development... It doesn't matter what you advertise, your product still has major flaws of not being perfect at what it's supposed to be doing. Furthermore, it still doesn't matter if you are lucky enough to have a graphics card which supports Mesa's OpenGL 3.3 compliance when it performs like crap.
                    If everything is flawed by definition, then don't only call Mesa flawed. Write "I am flawed" at the end of each post, to honour your philosophy

Comment

Working...
                    X