Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes

Phoronix: OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes

Since last week's release of OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", I've begun benchmarking my few Apple systems to see how the performance compares over OS X 10.8. In this article are our first benchmarks of OS X Mavericks final as we look at how the performance changes for a Haswell-based 2013 MacBook Air...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mavericks didn't really add anything I use unfortunately. My experience so far has been identical to what it was before, although I imagine there's a slew of under the hood stuff that smooths things out. (MBA 2013)

Comment

there was some small OpenGL changes
      like OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 2 ...

Comment

How is this Linux related?

I can understand benchmarking a decent OS (Linux) on a fruit store device but
        this... no thanks. Let's keep a clean room environment so we cannot be
        accused of stealing from a bunch of thieves with the US president's veto in
        their pocket.

Comment

Not many = few

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes
          http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5ODI
          Michael, you seem a bit overworked! I hope you take some time away from those many machines)

Comment

Originally posted by oo_OO_oo View Post
            I can understand benchmarking a decent OS (Linux) on a fruit store device but
            this... no thanks. Let's keep a clean room environment so we cannot be
            accused of stealing from a bunch of thieves with the US president's veto in
            their pocket.
            Phoronix also regularly benchmarks other UNIX-like or UNIX-based operating systems such as the BSDs or this.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
              Phoronix also regularly benchmarks other UNIX-like or UNIX-based operating systems such as the BSDs or this.
              And windows too, but all of these in comparison with Linux.

Comment

For anyone out there who has a hackintosh, be sure to backup your current setup before upgrading to 10.9 - there's a high probability something will break.

For anyone out there looking to do a hackintosh, 10.9 is the first OSX that is free. While I personally got 10.6.8 to work bare metal on a socket 939 AMD system, if graphics aren't a big deal to you, I'd recommend using VMware images.

Comment

A couple weeks ago I played L4D2 on OS X and I was surprised a) how awful the performance was, and b) that there was no raw mouse input, making it a real cluster-f.

Frankly I just don't get why people think Apple is anything other than a turd.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    A couple weeks ago I played L4D2 on OS X and I was surprised a) how awful the performance was, and b) that there was no raw mouse input, making it a real cluster-f.

Frankly I just don't get why people think Apple is anything other than a turd.
                    Well to be fair, Mac was never known for its games. Linux is a better gaming platform, which really says something considering it has a lot less native games and for the longest time has had a lot less attention toward GPU drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X