Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The Latest GNOME Wayland Shell On Fedora 20

Phoronix: Running The Latest GNOME Wayland Shell On Fedora 20

With the Fedora 20 beta coming up I decided to see where the latest Fedora 20 packages are now at for their support of Wayland and the GNOME Shell Wayland session. In particular, looking at whether the session is still buggy and how the XWayland performance is for Linux gaming.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by bofh80
    Are these benchmarks running in fullscreen mode?

Are there options for gnome-shell under xorg and wayland not to composite fullscreen windows....and are on or off?
    XWayland is rootless, meaning EVERY window is fullscreen in the eyes of X11. But no, sadly the one thing that we really need in XWayland (composite bypass for "fullscreen" (AKA all) windows) has not arrived. Because it runs rootless, it would improve performance for every application you opened with XWayaland, not just the ones that look fullscreen to you :/

Comment

Performance difference could be much worse I suppose, I'd probably take that if it meant I could run a tear-free desktop

Comment

How many fps you can do is not all the story on performance. Smooth experience on desktop should be the focus right now, who cares how many fps you can do in games? sorry for my reaction, but I've tried wayland and the desktop experience is shocking. X sucks in every way.

Comment

Meh. The benchmarks would be more interesting if the games were running natively on Wayland (SDL has been ported to Wayland) and then compared against their X11 versions?

Comment

i care

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
            How many fps you can do is not all the story on performance. Smooth experience on desktop should be the focus right now, who cares how many fps you can do in games? sorry for my reaction, but I've tried wayland and the desktop experience is shocking. X sucks in every way.
            i care, if a game work with 60 fps on x and a 30 on wayland...! and like inittial with xmir we have a noticiable regression on fps

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Meh. The benchmarks would be more interesting if the games were running natively on Wayland (SDL has been ported to Wayland) and then compared against their X11 versions?
              Eeeeeeeeeh... SDL2--- TWO -- has been ported to Wayland. Not SDL1. So we need some apps that are written against SDL2 in order to actually test them accurately.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It should be compared with Mir. That would be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Eeeeeeeeeh... SDL2--- TWO -- has been ported to Wayland. Not SDL1. So we need some apps that are written against SDL2 in order to actually test them accurately.
                  Considering how long SDL2 has been in development, the games' programmers had plenty of time to port to it. I'd be surprised if no game is there yet (at least in some dev branch).

Comment

Porting a game to use the Wayland-capable SDL shouldn't be too difficult. Let's see what's on the horizon- I wonder if SDL can change the backend at runtime (like GTK), or if you need to have either an X11 package or Wayland package.

Comment

Working...
                    X