No announcement yet.

Debian To Switch To Systemd Or Upstart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be interesting to hear from LSB maybe, or maybe freedesktop.org.
    Maybe get some voices from *BSD and Solaris.

It would be sad to see Debian lose *BSD.

It's cool if Debian is not so tied to Linux, that you can replace the kernel with BSD or Solaris or GNU Hurd or whatever. Maybe Darwin or Mach.

I hope the best system wins and the election doesn't get stolen by Canonical.
    I think maybe everyone should just give the ball to Linus Torvalds and let him decide.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewPL View Post
      I will remove Debian from my disk (after 10 years) if they will switch to upstart. Fact that some Canonical employees are moving Debian into Ubuntu way, because of some political reasons is making me sick of them.
      Why?

I've used both and like Upstart a lot better. Upstart works great.

Comment

Debian is pathetic

The fact alone that they even consider Upstart just once again proved how pathetic Debian is.
        A reasonable person would think that Debian should restore goodwill after repeated failings such as replacing perfectly fine working and FOSS-licensed software like cdrecord and ffmpeg with their own less maintained forks cdrkit and libav.org and making OpenSSL keys insecure.

Btw, the Tanglu variant of Debian already decided on systemd. At least some are reasonable? http://blog.tenstral.net/2013/10/tan...ase-plans.html

Comment

Just pick one

Does it really matter what boots Debian? If it works, doesn't eat your files and it serves both your and Debian's needs...

Comment

My take on it... all the new init systems on the block. Are being written so that they have something new that people have to pay them to support.

They can say sysvinit is old and crufty (a half truth) and show you thier new shiny init with checkbox features. Nevermind the fact that sysvinit has been around since forever and their init system will die as soon as the fads change. Longevity and compatibility are features after all...

Upstart hasn't even held up against the test of time within Ubuntu... its got systemd grafted into it. Systemd doesn't need further disparaging... it just doesn't belong.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Would be interesting to hear from LSB maybe, or maybe freedesktop.org.
              Maybe get some voices from *BSD and Solaris.

It would be sad to see Debian lose *BSD.
              systemd ist just an implementation of launchd techniques for Linux. There is a launchd port to FreeBSD. Debian kFreeBSD could use that. The Apache-licensed code is somewhere on GitHub.
              Nobody cares about Solaris ever since all the good parts (ZFS and DTrace) have been ported to FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by susie7 View Post
                Why?

I've used both and like Upstart a lot better. Upstart works great.
                So does systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  My take on it... all the new init systems on the block. Are being written so that they have something new that people have to pay them to support.

They can say sysvinit is old and crufty (a half truth) and show you thier new shiny init with checkbox features. Nevermind the fact that sysvinit has been around since forever and their init system will die as soon as the fads change. Longevity and compatibility are features after all...

Upstart hasn't even held up against the test of time within Ubuntu... its got systemd grafted into it. Systemd doesn't need further disparaging... it just doesn't belong.
                  Didn't the systemd implement a bunch of features that were in the kernel already, so those features have to be used as separate modules with sysVinit and upstart now, due to those features being dropped from the kernel? Those features are not systemd showing its invaded upstart, its that kernel features have been ripped out and thrown into userspace under the title of systemd extensions. "A rose by another name". Upstart "could" reimplement those features under the upstart title, but that would be needless. Works fine now since those features are not dependent on systemd to run.
                  Last edited by dh04000; 28 October 2013, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    Didn't the systemd implement a bunch of features that were in the kernel already, so those features have to be used as separate modules with sysVinit and upstart now, due to those features being dropped from the kernel? Those features are not systemd showing its invaded upstart, its that kernek features have been ripped out and thrown into userspace under the title of systemd extensions. "A rose by another name".
                    If you are talking about cgroups, then no, that is not even close to a correct description about what happened. (Source: https://lwn.net/Articles/555920/)

Comment

Just another senseless discussion...

Instead of answering the technical questions like why X is better than Y, you all start hating and complaining that it is a conspiracy of Canonical IF Upstart would be considered by Debian. Of course not because of technical reasons, it's just because of politics !!!!111

Sorry but to me it seems that nobody of you has a clue of init systems but a Master's degree in trolling.

And Tanglu come on, what is this ? Yet another is Linux distro that fades away within the next 3 years. Who cares what they use.
                      I have another infamous example who uses Upstart: Google Chrome. But who cares for that ? Tunglu Linux is new rising star

Comment

Working...
                      X