Debian To Switch To Systemd Or Upstart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I seem to remember that it was one of the reasons for the eudev fork, but I can't be bothered to hunt that down.
    You are confused. eudev fork has nothing to do with Ubuntu. It is a Gentoo fork because they want to strip down compile time requirements to only the parts they include. Binary based distributions like Ubuntu don't care about that much.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      Obviously not. It is just open source code. Ubuntu developers have commit access to systemd repository and continue to use pieces from systemd sources like udev and logind without using systemd as the init system. They may fork logind in the future but there is no force involved here.
      Obviously yes, they announced that and you are aware of that: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/006066.html
      The post basically reads as: We swallowed udev and we can't await to make it not work anymore on anything but systemd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Obviously yes, they announced that and you are aware of that: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/006066.html
        The post basically reads as: We swallowed udev and we can't await to make it not work anymore on anything but systemd.
        It basically reads as: We will continue to provide an option to build udev separately, but we won't waste time on doing anything more, since making better use of udev is a priority; in the long run, if everyone switches to systemd, this will stop being an issue altogether.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          You are confused. eudev fork has nothing to do with Ubuntu. It is a Gentoo fork because they want to strip down compile time requirements to only the parts they include. Binary based distributions like Ubuntu don't care about that much.
          Who mentioned Ubuntu? You mentioned Ubuntu in a Debian thread, and then went off on a tangent

I mentioned refusing patches and saying "If you don't like it, fork it" to people who simply wanted udev to BUILD. So that's one distro that got screwed for not using systemd. Because a harmless, simple patch was refused for no reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Who mentioned Ubuntu? You mentioned Ubuntu in a Debian thread, and then went off on a tangent

I mentioned refusing patches and saying "If you don't like it, fork it" to people who simply wanted udev to BUILD. So that's one distro that got screwed for not using systemd. Because a harmless, simple patch was refused for no reason.
            Well, if you can talk about Gentoo forks in a Debian thread, not sure Ubuntu can be really called off tangent. I dont see how refusing a simple autoconf patch that can be maintained downstream a huge problem. Gentoo users compile from source and care about build requirements. Most distributions aren't really bothered by that. So maintaining it downstream is a valid trade off for testability and supportability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pajn View Post
              Yeah.
              X isn't just a display server, it's a toolkit, and a print server.

Sure, good luck with that.
              If only printers would talk OpenGL....

Comment

• Originally posted by arti View Post
                I'm building right now a systemd version of Linux From Scratch and i realy doubt that it's going to be anymore complicated than using sysvinit
                I did that a year or two ago. It's a little harder to build (due to a bunch of dependencies that aren't in the LFS book), but no, it's not particularly complicated to set up - a couple of simply config files, if I recall correctly.

Though I'd recommend doing it in a VM if you're not already - diagnosing bootup problems is so much easier on a machine that can be rebooted in seconds, while keeping the docs open in a different window.

Comment

• Hopefully they select systemd instead of some old-school mess of scripts.

Other init systems just don't work. Here is simple example with OpenRC:
                  Code:
                   /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
                   * Stopping apache2 ...                                                                         [ ok ]
                   * Starting apache2 ...
                   * start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/apache2 is already running                                      [ ok ]
                  There is no apache running after this "succesful" restart.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArneBab View Post
                    OpenRC works well for Gentoo. Why do you call it capaign to say that the discussion misses a relevant system?
                    well as an gentoo user i admit openrc is sysV with nitro but after test systemd i just nuke openrc from my system entirely[just keep certain bashies needed for eselect that gentoo devs insist in keep them inside openrc instead of eselect ebuild]. the difference is just too huge to go back.

I use RHEL 6/ubuntu too in some clients of mine and everytime i have use upstart i feel like im handling old days HPUX or Caldera.

I mean the difference is big enough to inform my client's IT departments that for the next update they need a distro with systemd or it just won't work[thing that will help me remove around 7000 lines of code needed to deal with every sysV like nightmare out there + add amazing stuff like sandboxing/safe trackeable process spawn, engine switch when virtualized, focused logs, resource jailing, bullet proof child process clean, reliable subprocess spawn under demand(OMG), session integration(OMFG), timed tasks through dbus(no more f/d/g/h/u/j/k/l/cron lucky shots), self restart when crash + reliable logs through journald/dbus to send me back, 1 only one service file for any distro(with systemd ofc) OMG only 1 yes 1 i really mean 1 no tricks is realy really just 1]

i do admit tho systemd more important goodies are for devs or transparent to the user

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      well as an gentoo user i admit openrc is sysV with nitro but after test systemd i just nuke openrc from my system entirely[just keep certain bashies needed for eselect that gentoo devs insist in keep them inside openrc instead of eselect ebuild]. the difference is just too huge to go back.

i do admit tho systemd more important goodies are for devs or transparent to the user
                      Yeap, I also never use OpenRC on Gentoo any more. systemd is just very convenient and easy to use. I wouldn't say that it's more important for the devs than the user, though, if using Gentoo or similar systems that don't have everything pre-built, because it makes setting everything up and managing it much easier. No more messing around with hostname, network startup scripts, keymaps, locale, cron, system log, NTP... Heck, now you don't even need /etc/fstab. You basically just skip two-three entire pages of setup when using systemd.

Comment

Working...
                      X