Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 2.1 Supports VP9, HEVC, PulseAudio Output

Phoronix: FFmpeg 2.1 Supports VP9, HEVC, PulseAudio Output

FFmpeg 2.1 (codenamed "Fourier") was tagged Sunday and with it comes a whole lot of improvements to the popular open-source multimedia encoder/decoder software. There's VP9 and H.265 / HEVC decoding and a whole lot more!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What there wasn't PulseAudio support before?

Comment

Probably used ALSA, PulseAudio can grab and convert that.

Comment

Please, somebody, can we drop the hopeless "avconv" from every belligerent distro that ships it and get back to the one true ffmpeg. Some much more quality and life to be found there....

Comment

I've noticed mplayer2 is kind of a dead project these days. They're not even picking up libav commits anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            I've noticed mplayer2 is kind of a dead project these days. They're not even picking up libav commits anymore.
            That's why all the cool kids use mpv

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              A lot of devs moved from mplayer to mplayer2 because of Management. But while mplayer2 was better for awhile, it eventually also fell to Management issues. So the mplayer2 guys re-forked and moved to MPV.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yeah mpv is interesting... but the last time I checked it didn't work with any front-ends, kinda making it pointless. I think it would have been better to get a replacement communication framework in place first, then after front-ends had moved over to the new way, deprecate the old way. But that's just my weird way of thinking. I guess I'll go investigate what the latest is with the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  A lot of devs moved from mplayer to mplayer2 because of Management. But while mplayer2 was better for awhile, it eventually also fell to Management issues. So the mplayer2 guys re-forked and moved to MPV.
                  Meanwhile the VLC guys are not that stupid. There is still only one VLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Meanwhile the VLC guys are not that stupid. There is still only one VLC.
                    That is true. Though OTOH it only took VLC about ten years to get a feature like VDPAU. I can see how something that like that would be on the low end of the priority list. /s

Comment

Working...
                    X